semiphore type temp gage

60ch

This gage was in the dash of my 29 DA dodge when I bought it. The wires to it were cut so I have never seen it work. It was made by The Flash Semaphore Co. of Chicago, IL. I can find no information about this gage or the company that made it. I am trying to understand how it works. There appear to be 2 electromagnet coils 1 on either side of the base of the semaphore. There is standard copper wire to power the unit. Do these magnets work against each other somehow as the temperature goes up?

Any thoughts on how this works? Has anyone seen one like it?

post-32445-143142399642_thumb.jpg

post-32445-14314239966_thumb.jpg

post-32445-143142399677_thumb.jpg

Friartuck, Thank you for the response. I checked my copy of the Dykes Auto Encyclopedia with no success. It has a 1943 date. I just checked the copy from 1920 on the Dodge Brothers website, no success there either. Maybe one is too early and the other too late. I will contact "Temperature Gauge Guy". Thanks for the lead. Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Since it has a 1943 date, I would bet it is military.
If military, maybe a gauge that was used in a high vibration vehicle like an APC where a needle type gauge might fail.

I think that 1943 date was for the Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia, not for the date of the device.

ply33 is correct, the 1943 date is the date of my Dykes encyclopedia. The gage is an aftermarket gage that was installed in the dash of my 29 Dodge. I don't know when it was installed. This appears to be some early automotive technology predating Bourdon Tube type gages and the newer type of electric temperature gages. It looks like it would be expensive to manufacture. I live near Chicago and plan on researching the Flash Semaphore Co. through the phone book archives at the downtown Chicago Public Library. Hopefully I can get a lead there as to where I might access business licenses from the 1920s. I have yet to find anyone who has even heard of this type of gage. I know that with todays technology it could be made to work, but from the technology available in the 1920s, I cant see how. Terry

One could do a search on the Patent database. Unfortunately Patents issued prior to 1970's cannot be searched using keywords like manufacturer or name, etc. If you find it, the patent will likely reveal the operating principle. If you find the patent number you could pull that up from the datebase. Note of caution, depending on your browser and applications on your computer, you may have to download an image viewer suitable for looking at .TIFF images. The patent site explains how to do this.

http://patft.uspto.gov/

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

I usually have better luck using the Google patent search. Google has scanned many, if not all, patents back to the first ones and performed optical character recognition so that the text is now searchable. However, you still can't search them by inventor name or assignee, like Flash Semaphore Co.

I did come up with patent 1699104 issued in 1929 for a color-changing temperature gauge. The working principle is not one I would have guessed. This could be it, but maybe not. You can download the PDF file to see the drawings and text in full detail.

www.google.com/patents/US1699104

Gary, I think that you have nailed it. Everything is explained well and it all relates to this gage. Even the part that explains that no power is used while the car is operating in the normal temperature range matches this gage. This is why there are two wires, one to each electromagnet. One to engage the cold side magnet the other to engage the hot side magnet. Now I need to reread this and understand how current to the cold side magnet was shut off when the engine was at operating temperature. Thank you very much for your efforts. You were a great help in solving this piece of obscure automotive history. Terry Keanpost-32445-143142432322_thumb.jpg

I took one more look, found another related patent by Edward Fonseca and assigned to Wilcolator Co. See http://www.google.com/patents/US1772279

I don't think Wilcolator is still around, trademark expired in 1986 . Google indicates they made a lot of thermostats and controllers for domestic ovens over the years. Fonseca has a number of patents from back in the 1920s-30s, all assigned to Wilcolator, so I assume that he was an employee. I'm not sure how Flash Semaphore Co. fits into the picture, was unable to find anything about them, maybe they were a licensee.

Do a Google Image search on Wilcolator and you'll be entertained for hours. Here's their mascot, Reddie Wilcolator:

post-47871-143142434439_thumb.jpg

Gary, After rereading both patents it seems that the sending unit from the Wilcolator is the most appropriate. While the concept is correct in the first patent that you posted, it operates by vacuum only. No electrical current is used. The Wilcolater controls electrical current to accomplish the same end. Neither is a dead on match for what I have but if I found or fabricated a Wilcolater sending unit , it would operate the Flash semaphore gage that I have. Thanks again, Terry