1934 Dodge Split Front Side Window Mechanism

Ian_Greenlaw

I thought I'd post this as a new thread for reference for anyone needing to dismantle the front side windows and the mechanisms.

Firstly I ground the rivit heads ( better result than drilling ) and using a 1/8" punch gently tapped the rivits out. Then I pulled out the Window Locking Mechanism and unhooked from the locking lever. Using a flat piece of wood I gently widened the two sides to the window frame and this enabled the 1/4 vent winding mechanism to be easily removed as one unit. The slide control that is connected to the locking lever can be slide out on one piece with a bit of manouvering around the two rivits that are used to joint the two parts of the slide control. You'll end up with only the locking lever still attached to the frame.

The Window Locking Mechanism is basically in two parts. One part has the spring loaded 1/4 vent window lock and the main window unlocking spring. The second part has the ratchet grooves that can move back and forth by the locking lever. You can also notice the notch in this part where the 1/4 vent window lock when released pulls up into this notch preventing the whole window frame to be lowered. The last picture shows a long metal strip that is connected via a tab on the locking lever through the hole on the right side of this strip. The other end appears to be a thumb grip used to assist the locking lever if it stiffens up.

Anyhow hope you found this interesting.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143142398806_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142398808_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14314239881_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142398812_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142398814_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that as I'll be doing the same job sometime in the future, so its great to have the reference. I believe the "thumb grip" on the left of the long metal strip in photo 5 actually locks the window frame to the door and holds the window frame up when in the window glass only lowering mode.

Nice job you're doing on your car!!!

Bill

Hi Bill.

That exactly what I was looking for.

So the second photo, the ashtray sits up under the two tabs at the top and clips in the tab at the bottom. When installed it pulls forward and tilts downward and the spring pulls it back when pushed back in place.

Hopefully that sounds right.

Cheers

Ian

Bill,

The second pic, are you able to get the camera to look down more. I cant see with mine if there are 2 machine threads holding it in place. Also where the spring sits there is a second piece of steel there when bolted in place holds the spring in place. I think I'm missing that bit so I'll have to make something up.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Bill,

Exactly what I was after.

Now all I have to work out is how to get the ashtray bracket between the dashboard and the support bracket.

Many thanks

Ian

I'M wondering if the whole mech. can be taken out and put into a tumbler to remove all the scale, and then painted up, as mine is the same also...thanks for the great pictures,,,,,as always its "best said with photos".....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

These is a little bracket that the ignition switch and illumination light sits in that is attached somehow to the back of the dashboard. Would you be able to get a photo of that for me ?

Sorry to be a pain but these little things is what I need at the moment.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Bill,

These is a little bracket that the ignition switch and illumination light sits in that is attached somehow to the back of the dashboard. Would you be able to get a photo of that for me ?

Sorry to be a pain but these little things is what I need at the moment.

Cheers

Ian

this photo shows how the little bracket attaches

post-70464-143142430469_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143142430472_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143142430474_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys.

Bill.....that's the one.......only problem is the guy who had the car before me cut through the top bracket and the two feet at the bottom, one has been cut off and the other the weld broken.

Now I have to figure out if I can remount it without welding as the top bracket which attaches to the body does not have a lot of room. hmmmmmmm

Ian, you're right about lack of room at the top of that bracket, I had to take the top view photo through the cowl vent opening! My only suggestion would be to extend and modify the top bracket to attach to the cowl vent mount, which is pretty close, and at the bottom reattach the ears and bolt through with small flat or oval head screws.

Bill

Ian, you're right about lack of room at the top of that bracket, I had to take the top view photo through the cowl vent opening! My only suggestion would be to extend and modify the top bracket to attach to the cowl vent mount, which is pretty close, and at the bottom reattach the ears and bolt through with small flat or oval head screws.

Bill

Hi Guys !

Liquid nails sticks extremly well to steel !

Hi guys,

Bill, I know what you mean and was looking at this on the weekend. One of my ears at the bottom has been cut off so I had to refabricate a bracket. I'll do an extension at the top and I hope I can get a pop rivit onto it.

Steve,

Thats for the light bulb that shines down through a slot in the ignition switch housing.

Your ignition switch looks new but may not fit. From the area where it attaches to the bracket, to where it protrudes through the dash, mine is approx 1" in length but I have another one that is just over half an inch in length that looks like your one.

Let me know what you think.

Ian

post-44589-143142432428_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Bill, I know what you mean and was looking at this on the weekend. One of my ears at the bottom has been cut off so I had to refabricate a bracket. I'll do an extension at the top and I hope I can get a pop rivit onto it.

Steve,

Thats for the light bulb that shines down through a slot in the ignition switch housing.

Your ignition switch looks new but may not fit. From the area where it attaches to the bracket, to where it protrudes through the dash, mine is approx 1" in length but I have another one that is just over half an inch in length that looks like your one.

Let me know what you think.

Ian

Ian that switch was on eBay, it's the same as the one in my 33 Plymouth, which also shine to light up ignition switch...The one in mine has to be change out, ( dont know what it went to but not 34 Dodge....they ajust too....

As to the bottom of your ear, hope you saw a doctor right away and got that taken care of haha....I rolled over in a 1967 tempest when I was a kid (15 ) I was'nt driving rolled 5 times in a convertable,,,,lost the top of my ear, among many other injuries, but I appear to be fine today, ( but maybe thats just in my own mind....ha....