Rolled Edge Rims

DavidAU

Has anyone injected a rust proofing compound into the sides of rolled edge rims to stop corrosion and if so what did you use and how did you do it?

I was thinking of drilling a 1/8 hole on the inside of each rolled edge and then injecting some sort of liquid, (ie, fish oil) in with a plastic squeeze bottle, rolling the rim around to cover the insides then letting the liquid dry out.

After it has dried I was going to seal the holes up and the gaps around the inside where the edge meets the rim base with plumbers silicone to keep any water out in the future.

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Some of the rolled-edge rims had a drain hole or two when they were made.

The only problem I see with your idea, is will what every you put inside the rolled edge will have to be compatible with the rubber in the tire. Otherwise while you are trying to preserve the wheel, your tire's beads will be come dangerously soft and deteriorated.

The best procedure, but a lot of work, would be to demount the tires, properly clean and inspect the inside of the rolled edge rim, and use a two-part epoxy paint to seal the surface of the metal.

Greg L

Thanks Greg

The rims have been blasted and are at the powdercoaters to be painted so that will ensure the inside of the rims where the tires mount are well and truly cleaned and painted however the inside cavities of the rolled edges are still bare, rusty, unprotected steel.

Cross section of Rolled Edge rim below

post-58798-143142346369_thumb.jpg

Hi David, sorry, I was visualizing more of a rolled ring like a clincher rim, open towards the tire's bead.

On your rims, where the bead rolls around and comes against the itself, is there any hint of rust from that joint ? I would think that

moisture would have created some rust over the years.

Have you tried to determine if the rolled rim is not corroded thin from the inside in any spots ?

Have you contacted Kelsey Hayes, or Coker Tire to see what they might recommend? I'm thinking maybe metal prep or

some other type of solution that would react with any rust, and also coat any metal.

I'll look to see if I have any photos of the rolled rims I've seen, and look where the 'weep-hole' was located.

I still think that whatever you use must either dry, or be compatible with the tire's rubber, because some could still

seep out of the gap and contact the tire.

Greg L

It seems like this kind of rolled rim would be just right for using Por-15. It does a fairly good job of encapsulating any rust that might be in there now. Just make sure that you drain the excess out as it would put you wheel a little out of balance. This would probably be more permanent than the fish oil treatment you were describing.