LH lug stud

Guest Jerwood

Guest Jerwood

I have a 1963 Riv. ROA 7543 member. One of my front left lug stud bolts broke.

It is a LH thread and after spending several days talking to auto parts dealers and searching the Internet, I could not find a LH stud. Some suggested going to a junk yard.

I believe my best solution will be to change out to all RH studs. And If i do the front, then it makes sense to also change out the rear. The proper RH stud bolts and nuts are in local stock.

Question in reading some of the other discussions - can the old stud bolts be tapped out and new ones pulled in or do I need to go to a machine shop and have them pressed out and new RH pressed in? Also one discussion stated I will need to pull out the axle to change out the rear bolts.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Jim Erwood

The studs can be pounded out and in with a heavy hammer but whether you are doing the fronts or rears, be sure the impact of the hammer is not directed into the wheel or axle bearing. The fronts are easy, just pull the wheel from the car. The rear axle is a little more work.

The rears can be done in the car by using a tool to press the studs out (as a tech I would rummage thru my collection of pullers, etc and find or make something that would work, assuming the tool could be made very quickly) and using a lug nut and plenty of lube, and possibly a little tapping for encouragement, to pull the new studs in.

As a 40 year tech I have quite the collection of tools, pullers, etc...including oxy-acetylene at my disposal but for the typical weekend mechanic it might be best to remove the rear axle to make the job easier and faster. in any event, no need for the machine shop, unless you are afraid of the infamous hammer...good luck

Tom Mooney

Does anyone know the dimensions of the bolts needed for a '63? I know the threads are 1/2 x 20 but what are the diameter of the splines, and the length of the shoulder? Are the fronts different than the backs?

The MOPAR muscle guys should know where to get these studs. MOPARS for many years used LH threads on their cars.

I'm sending Jerwood the front LH stud and nut he needs. Since he only needs one it doesn't make sense to change them all out to RH.

Front and rear are different.

I believe the LH threaded studs are obsolete, even in the aftermarket. The RH threaded studs are still available, and the dimensions should be available on the internet. I will post a link if I can find.

John

Rock Auto has the dorman studs listed also but they have two different diameters listed; only 4 / 1,000th difference but could that make a difference? Both listings appear for the 1963 Riviera. Nothing left handed here either.

DORMAN Part # 610080 Serrated Stud; Thread; 1/2-20; Knurl Dia.: .625"; Length: 1-15/16"; Shoulder Length: 5/16"

Front; Right Hand Thread; Style: Serrated Stud; Thread Size: 1/2-20; Knurl Diameter (In): 0.625; Shoulder Length (In): 0.3125; Stud Steel

DORMAN Part # 610191 Serrated Stud; Thread; 1/2-20; Knurl Dia.: .621"; Length: 1-1/2"; Shoulder Length: 5/16"

Rear; Right Hand Thread; Style: Serrated Stud; Thread Size: 1/2-20; Knurl Diameter (In): 0.621; Shoulder Length (In): 0.3125; Stud Steel

Addendum - I looked through a Dorman PDF file and found a LH stud that's the same as the listing for the front. Dorman part # 610-081, but nothing to match the shorter rear stud that has the smaller diameter.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I too am in need of a Left Rear stud. The left hand thread. Like above I've exhausted sources. Anyone who has the proper stud and lug nut or knows where to get one? I'd like to keep the car original and I don't want to change nine additional studs and lugs to RH.

Guest slacker1965

DrP

if you have a few tools & some avail computer time, you should be able to do this....

pop the broken stud out(we can walk you thru this if needed), measure how far a good one sticks out of the axle flange then go to the weblink that I posted above & see if something matches up......

I have a broken LF stud on a '63 project but won't be able to dig it out until it warms up & dries out.....they are probably different anyways

MoPar's used LH stuff, but I do not know if they are similar.....

reply if you need help on removing the broken stud

DrP

if you have a few tools & some avail computer time, you should be able to do this....

pop the broken stud out(we can walk you thru this if needed), measure how far a good one sticks out of the axle flange then go to the weblink that I posted above & see if something matches up......

I have a broken LF stud on a '63 project but won't be able to dig it out until it warms up & dries out.....they are probably different anyways

MoPar's used LH stuff, but I do not know if they are similar.....

reply if you need help on removing the broken stud

Tnx Herr Slacker

The stud is missing. Suspect some tire monkey who didn't bother to check that it was LH broke it off with impact tool and didn't tell owner. If I'm lucky the axle flange is not damaged.So I hope it is just going to be putting new one in. My plan is to lube the new one, slip a flat washer or oversize nut over the stud then use lug nut against the washer to draw the stud tight. I think this can be done without removing axle. Anyone done this and have advice please let me know. Thanks for all help. This is a great forum with great guys like you willing to help us newbies.

Guest slacker1965
Tnx Herr Slacker

The stud is missing. Suspect some tire monkey who didn't bother to check that it was LH broke it off with impact tool and didn't tell owner. If I'm lucky the axle flange is not damaged.So I hope it is just going to be putting new one in. My plan is to lube the new one, slip a flat washer or oversize nut over the stud then use lug nut against the washer to draw the stud tight. I think this can be done without removing axle. Anyone done this and have advice please let me know. Thanks for all help. This is a great forum with great guys like you willing to help us newbies.

I have installed them by just turning a lugnut around backwards with a washer or two in between, draw it up by hand not an impact wrench. feel free to lube or anti-sneeze liberally.

if no one chimes in with the dimensions, you may have to remove one of the existing to match it up. if you do need to remove an existing stud, support the axle flange from behind b4 wailing on the stud.

I have not tried to replace them on a riv w/o removing the axle, I have done it on other vehicles tho. just wiggle it out.

if you DO need to remove the axle it's simple, just take off the drum & remove the 4 nuts that hold on the flange, it slides right out. put in a new seal while you are at it....

good luck, keep us posted

Guest slacker1965
Tnx Herr Slacker

FWIW I changed out 2 rear studs in a '65 riv today....did them w/o removing rear axle...

hope you get yours repaired soon