Headlight bulb question

79 speedster

I am finding parts for my 1914 Overland and the headlight bulbs have been elusive. I believe they are referred to as Magneto Bulbs. All I really know is they are very large bulbs, single post and filament and have a tip of glass on the front of the bulb. I haven't been able to locate a pair Probably because I really don't know the proper description, so if anyone out there could help me with information or locate some it would be a big help.

Thanks, Mark

The nearest wiring diagram I have been able to find is 1920 Overland. It has a battery and generator. Does your car have a battery and generator ? I don't think your car would use "magneto" lamps as an early Ford Model T would use. Those are 18 to 24 volts. Finding those early lamps is very hard to do. Even the replacement lamps are most troublesome. I suspect you need single filament single contact lamps of 6 to 8 volts. I have a 1926 Paige that uses an 1129 lamp 6 volts 21 candle power.

Please allow me to explain a little bit about the light bulbs you are chasing after. My 1916, 1920, and 1922 Buick uses this same bulb that you refer to. You are right when you say that they are rather large with a tit on the end. These bulbs were produced in single and double contact versions. The reason they were referred to as 'magneto bulbs' was they were used in the T Model Fords. The Ford headlights got their juice from the magneto. The faster the engine ran the brighter the headlights were. If a person used a 6 - 8 volt regular bulb the filament would be burnt up by the excessive juice produced by the magneto. The electrical system in my Buicks relies on the storage battery for its power needs and the generator keeps the battery up to charge. When the light switch is turned on in my Buicks, the bulbs stay at a constant brightness - not so in a T Ford. With good reflectors these bulbs will throw out quite a bit of light in my Buicks with just six volts. I have bought all of these bulbs that I have ever found at all of the swap meets that I have ever attended. There are a few of them out there yet, but they are getting harder to find as time goes on. Good luck with your search.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Thanks Commodore. My car uses a single post bulb, but I guess I could convert the socket if need be. The challenge would be that the wiring is a single armored wire so I'd have to ground out the socket inside of the housing. Anyone out there done this type of alteration?