interesting sighting

KDirk

While watching an episode of Simon and Simon from season 8 on DVD today I happened to see a red Reatta convertible with the top down parked in the driveway of a mansion in the opening shot of the episode.

I found this interesting because it was an onscreen appearance of the Reatta I was previously unaware of.

More interesting still is the fact that season 8 of the series finished airing in March of 1989. This was the 9th episode of 13 so was probably shot in mid to late 1988. This begs the question as to where Universal procured this car as it had to be a prototype, perhaps with no functional top.

Also would have been a strange choice to pick at random for inclusion in a tv show especially for dressing a set for a brief shot. Parked right behind it was a black Avanti. In the context of the scene, they were clearly going for a bunch of upscale and rare cars as it took place at the estate of a very wealthy family.

Just thought it was curious that they found a convertible to use in a tv shoot well before any production models were ever built.

KDirk

Buick heavily promoted the car on the front end... 1988 and then ads tapered off.

The Reatta convertible prototype that is now at the San Diego Museum was made from a early1988 coupe (vin 900038) by Buick, it was used at dealer meeting and auto shows and had a early (CRT) dash until the car was changed to a 1990 style dash...... again probably to show dealer groups what was coming.

Those of you that have been on the forum for over a year will remember that this prototype was moved from IVY Tech in Lafayette Indiana to San Diego in Oct 2012. The transportation was paid for by Reatta owners....... some of you are now reading this. In the past year, Kingsley Baker has been baby sitting the car and trying to get the museum moving on its repairs. Again several Reatta owners donated needed parts. The museum is now trying to get it painted. They say they have no funds and Kingsley has worked with them on trying to get it done free. The last report looks like it is getting closer.

If any of you have connections in San Diego with any one or group that can help with getting this car painted, let Kingsley know. There is also the possibility that again Reatta owners could step up and if 100 people donated $10 that would probably get something going. I am not asking for donations, just your input on how to make it happen.