1924 DB steering column movement

Guest occrj

Hi all,

I'm still fiddling with my '24 whenever I get chance. If I hold the steering wheel and wiggle it, there is some up and down play on the column. Is there a bush of any kind that can be replaced? or is the movement due to wear in the horn collector ring? All advice welcomed!

thanks RJ

PS Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a diagram that shows the column, including the bush(es) if there are some?

Thanks, Happy 2014 everyone

RJ.

Hi RJ,

these are taken from my owners manual dated August 29. Don't know if they will answer your question entirely but should lend some help. See the adjustment section in the first photo. If that doesn't help then maybe the 1924-25 Mechanics Instruction Manual off eBay would help? You should be able to contact the seller to ask if there are any exploded views of steering column along with description or instructions. Good luck.

post-69994-143142333847_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142333831_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

There are several points in the steering area which could result in up and down movement. See attached scan. First check the cap screws which secure the steering shaft to the sleeve at the top of the steering box. These screws clamp the sleeve at a flat point at the end of the shaft. Next, check that the sleeve (7) is firmly pinned to the worm shaft which emerges from the top of the steering post-44825-143142333954_thumb.jpgbox. End float on the worm is set by a screw in cap (9) around its shaft - check and adjust if necessary. Check that the steering box itself is tight in its mounting.

Hope this helps

Tony