Hubcap Identification?

Guest Mark Vail

Guest Mark Vail

A friend gave this hubcap to me a few years back. I am curious as to the model and year it fits. If someone is in need of it, I might be willing to part with it.

Mark Vail

Eatonton, GApost-97344-14314229855_thumb.jpg

Looks like hub cap 171804, used on 1929-31 cars with wood wheels. Fits models FC, FD, FE, FH, 61, 70, 80, 90. Also fits 6-cylinder cars models GE, GJ, GL, S1, 53, and 54 with wood wheels. Here's a photo of a dented one on a 1929 President FH axle. The internal thread is 2_3/4-16.

post-47871-143142299439_thumb.jpg

Guest Mark Vail

Thanks for the info, Gary. Right now, I'm using mine as a paperweight. Would be willing to trade it for a non-dented decent hubcap for my '35 Dictator. I've got one or two with non-factory creases.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, Gary. Right now, I'm using mine as a paperweight. Would be willing to trade it for a non-dented decent hubcap for my '35 Dictator. I've got one or two with non-factory creases.

Mark

Mark

Can you enter a photo with dimensions of the 1935 cap you are seeking? I can check my spares for a possible match to trade for the wood wheel cap you have.

Stude8

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark Vail

Sorry to be away so long. The hubcap face measures approximately 8-1/2" in diameter. The inside about 7-1/8" diameter. There are 6 mounting tabs paired in twos on the back. Each tab is about 2-3/4" apart per pair and about 5" between each pair.

post-97344-143142328175_thumb.jpg

Stude8, I have more photos of wood wheel cap, if interested. PM me with your email address, and I'll send them to you.

post-97344-143142328189_thumb.jpg

Mark, I have many of those 35 hubcaps but all damaged in some way. John McCall reproduces them. I bought new ones from him. I really needed President ones but could not find good enough ones to replate. Did one "The President" one for the spare in back and used the commander ones on the ground until I find good ones. The reproductions are very good. John bought the inventory and dies from Lionel Stone.

Guest Mark Vail
Mark, I have many of those 35 hubcaps but all damaged in some way. John McCall reproduces them. I bought new ones from him. I really needed President ones but could not find good enough ones to replate. Did one "The President" one for the spare in back and used the commander ones on the ground until I find good ones. The reproductions are very good. John bought the inventory and dies from Lionel Stone.

Thanks for the information. I'm afraid that if I put reproduction hubcaps on the car, it would make the rest of the car look all the more shabbier! :) Will check it out nonetheless. I have one that's really bad--lots of creases in it, so I might replace that one with a reproduction or a good used hubcap. Thanks again! I know that Mr. Stone was in the business for decades and has a fine reputation. I'm certain the quality is top notch.

Here's another question for all of you. My car has the rear spare tire metal cover and face plate. I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it. Don't want to damage it (any more than it already is). Can't find any info on this in the owner's manual or the body parts catalog. How is this done?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have send the following Email to all the organizers of the Dover meet: http://www.sdcmeet.com/vendorlist.asp.:

I noticed that one of the vendors listed is John McCall.

John has screwed a lot of people and should not be allowed as a vendor.

See the following threads:

http://forums.aaca.org/f126/question-about-floor-mat-salesman-who-372751.html

Robert Kapteyn

I would appreciate if others would do the same

Edited by rbk (see edit history)