Cadillac engine number

jwa

Greetings, I am in need of assistance from someone who knows Caddy's. My friend bought a Packard that had a Caddy motor installed. We are wanting to know the year and model of the engine. 96K92539 is the casting number and 86187211 AJ is the trans. Thanks in advance for you help.

Concerning the Caddy engine.

The cylinder head casting number might be easier assuming they were not changed out also. From '49 to '55 they had a 331 ci engine, '56 & '57 a 365 ci engine, '58 to'63 a 390 ci engine and progressively larger engines into the '70's. Cylinder heads (right and left) seamed to change just about every year however. If you can find a copy of the "Ultimate American V-8 Engine Data Book, 1949-1974" by Peter Sessler, it might prove helpful. Good luck.

Cadillac had a very odd way of reversing the engine number's first two digits for the year. The letter differentiates between a/c and non a/c. The remaining digits are the sequence in which the engine was produced. X would denote a non a/c engine and K was with a/c. So the engine is the engine is the 92539th 1969 engine produced and it was built as an engine for an a/c equipped car. It should be a 472 as Cadillac didn't offer multiple engine options until the late 70's and a 472 was the only engine offered that year. The 472 was introduced in 1968.

Let me guess, the distributor is front mounted? Rounded valve covers with Cadillac script, not block letters?