1930 Dodge DD6 Wheel Removal

Recks

I need to take the wheels off of my 1930 Dodge DD6, I have a pretty stupid question, but I'm paranoid about wrecking any parts. I have the circular hubcaps (see pic) that I assume are threaded on. Are these right hand thread (counter clockwise will loosen)? Also, any tips on removing these without damaging them? I see the outside of the cap is circular, but the inboard part has a hex for a wrench. Also, I understand that I will need a puller to remove the wheel, any hints on thread size and where to get one?

Much appreciated!

post-96951-143142288167_thumb.jpg

Owen has an excellent idea. However, I've always removed & installed by hand, as tightly as I could. Normal threading on my Plymouth, but could be different for Dodge. You should not need puller for front wheels. Remove cotter pin, nut, washer, pull and bearing and wheel should slide right towards you. Rear wheel is where you may need puller.

An advertisement for a MILLER says their C-43 is designed for "Size 2 3/8" x 16. For all Plymouth prior to 1931, all Dodge 1929 to 1931 models, all DeSoto models prior to 1931, Chrysler 50, 52, 62, 66, CJ, CM, Finer 70 and 72 models." (cost listed as $1.50)

Thanks for the help! I tried to take the caps off by hand, but they've been on there for 70-odd years I'm sure, they're stuck. The strap wrench, some Deep Creep, and a little bit of heat should solve the problem. The last thing I want to do is damage it.

I have never needed more than a pair of leather gloves to take a hub cap off, even after 50+ years in the bush. Your rear wheel can be pulled using a puller that screws on the same place as the hub cap.

The old fashioned (primitive) way is to jack up the opposite side. Leave the wheel that you want to remove on the ground. Back the axle nut off until it is flush with the end of the axle. Hit the end of the axle and nut (squarely) with a ten pound sledge hammer. One single hit as hard as you can. This never fails. The shock will drive the axle in and leave the wheel loose. If you use a small hammer and just tap it all you do is round off the end of the nut and axle.