King Seeley fuel gauge body

krazykat

While working on my gauge cluster for my '29 President, I tried to remove the ring holding the glass on the fuel gauge and of course, some of the ancient pot metal gave way. Problem being, none of the usual vendors seem to sell the model unit I have. A local foundry is willing to cast a new body but I would be left with considerable machining after the fact. Wondering if anyone knows this part and has cast any spares? It looks like a good candidate for a 3D printer if one can be located...anyone know of one that shoots metal? The reason for removing the glass was to get to the gauge face to repaint or at least touch up.

Guess I could have been more specific...while there are several of these gauge units for sale on the web, I've pretty much eliminated all of them as they don't fit my car. Studebaker used more than one King-Seeley model fuel gauge in different cars and the one used in the President in '29, was a little smaller than others. What I'm hoping to find, is someone who has reproduced this unit on their own and may have a spare for sale.

Yeah, it could be cut with a CNC and that may be how this all goes down but thought I'd explore my options and try to wind up with something that looks a little more like the original piece. That and possibly easy to manufacture as I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this boat and if I were to wind up with extras, I coukd trade them off for ...

I have a small CNC mill. Just wanted to see how involved it was to make.

Well, I really don't think that the setup would take too much time. I've been thinking about casting slightly oversize, in aluminum but in two pieces and welding together. Take a look at the web under images to see good photos. They are all mostly alike...

The guys at classic and exotic have King Seeley bodies to include one for a '28 Studebaker. Is the one for a '29 President that much differant? In any case, theirs are CNC machined and they likely have all their bodies on file. Changing a couple of dimensions and letting them do it should be cheaper and easier than you starting from scratch. Just my $.02 worth.

• 4 weeks later...