Information Needed: Bricklin SV-1

Guest harris25

Guest harris25

Hello avid car enthusiasts. I am a student at Bettendorf High School and we are doing unit based on out of production cars. I am specifically looking for information on a Bricklin SV-1 and was hoping that you guys could help me out. Any information that could be provided would be awesome.

Malcom Bricklin, the man behind the Bricklin auto, is better known as the person who brought the Subaru auto to the US. With that success he started his own auto company to make Bricklins. They were supposed to be a safety sporty car and were assembled in Canada, St. Jon New Brunswick I believe. The cars were not accepted well and had issues, especially with the gull-wing doors. Their production did not last long and only a few thousand were made.

One recently showed up at a used car lot near where I live in PA. Its still sitting there so I guess the demand for them is low.

Terry

I recall seeing a Bricklin at an automobile auction in the 1980's. Without checking, I'm pretty sure that Malcom Bricklin was also the guy that imported the useless "Yugo" automobiles. They quickly bombed and I have only seen 1 or 2 of them. They were a very small car that slightly resembled a Volkswagen Rabbit or a Dodge Omni. I'm thinking the SV-1 used a Ford engine but you can find that information by Googling the car.

Funny story. Mal Bricklin was buying engines from AMC. In a meeting with the CEO of the company he started throwing his weight around, telling him what kind of cars to make, how to run his company etc.

The CEO got sore and said "If you're so smart let's see you build a car with no engine" ha ha ha ha ha.

So he had to go to Ford for motors after that.

The cars were actually selling pretty well. But Bricklin ran out of money and went to the New Brunswick government for another loan. They heard he was negotiating to buy an engine company and they were afraid they were being sucked in to spend a lot more money so they cut him off. Also there was politics involved, there was an election and a change of government and the new guys were not interested in supporting a project started by the other party.

Guest harris25

Thank you all who contributed to my thread over the past couple of days. You guys gave me some great information and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me out. My project ended up turning out great and thank you again for the information.