Transmission Tear Down

MIClassicGirl

Hello Gentlemen. Dennis & I have finally gotten back into work on the car. We have the transmission all apart and my husband is wondering where we can find seals and gaskets for our transmission? Some of the seals are in rough shape and we are having a hard time finding replacements. Any ideas on how to go about finding these items? Any guidance would be appreciated!!

Thanks again for any ideas!

Shannon

If you take any old seal/bearing to a place that specifically deals in nothing but seals and bearings and do not mention the year of vehicle you are working on than chances are they will be able to match anything you have.

Oldcar Bearing Co. advertises in Hemmings Motor News usually has any sealed bearing for replacements given the specifications of yours may help them. Many of the old transmissions didn't have seals. They relied on oil slingers on the front and rear of the main shafts. New replacement ball bearings are coming through with factory seals in them already. If you get one with one side of the bearing sealed, that side faces toward the outside of trans. You still need to place the old slingers in their original place, facing the proper way too. Gaskets were predominantly all paper gaskets. These can be cut using a roll of gasket paper found at most auto stores today for about 5 bucks, enough to do many gaskets. There is brown paper rolls and black paper rolls. The black is oil proof paper. You really don't need it on an old tranny, since there's no pressure in their case. They are vented to atmosphere. I use the brown paper on the old trans.