'50 Special--Rear Bumper Rubber Gravel Deflectors--How Many?

beerczar1976

Wow say this 5 times fast...Rear Bumper Rubber Gravel Deflectors. These are the little elongated arrow head shaped pieces, that I guess go between the rear lower body/fender and the metal bumper gravel deflector inserts. I checked the parts book and it famously lists either As Required or didn't list a specific qty. I think these were meant to keep the inserts from vibrating or rattling against the body?...

Has anyone gone thru the process of putting this little do-hickies in or did you just skip them?

67557_small.jpg

Hmmmm... a '50 rear end looks nothin' like that! I may have to hunt down a pic from somebody with a '50 or later. Catalogs list them, but maybe they get used in a different way/location on the later gravel deflectors. Now that I'm looking at your pics., it looks like those rubber pieces go into the deflector, like in a slot or something. All deflectors I have just have the bent over tabs with the built in/clipped on speed nuts that match up to the holes in the body. Here's a pic of a right rear deflector. I was thinking those rubber pieces pinched between the deflector and the body.

1372985342_CIMG6897.JPG

Dan,

You're right. I was using that as an example. I've got a opposite shaped left piece as well. However your question on the center piece is a good one. I'll have to take a look at my center piece when I get home from work today...Maybe that has slots in it to accept the rubber pieces. I'm now just getting to the point of putting the bumpers back on and hadn't really looked too closely at the rear and front centers yet. I was missing the Right Rear and Front Left until just the other day when I ordered replacements from Buick Farm.

Hmmmm... a '50 rear end looks nothin' like that! I may have to hunt down a pic from somebody with a '50 or later. Catalogs list them, but maybe they get used in a different way/location on the later gravel deflectors. Now that I'm looking at your pics., it looks like those rubber pieces go into the deflector, like in a slot or something. All deflectors I have just have the bent over tabs with the built in/clipped on speed nuts that match up to the holes in the body. Here's a pic of a right rear deflector. I was thinking those rubber pieces pinched between the deflector and the body.

1372985342_CIMG6897.JPG

As Dan said, this is the right piece of three pieces. they bolt to the BODY of the car. There is another piece to this gravel shield. It is a two piece part. Best I can tell,

looking at my '50 mod 52, it [they] attaches to the bumper mounting bolts. The rubber bumper pieces in question attach to this plate just like in Dan's post #4. Total of eight.

Ben

Ben, are you saying there might be additional pieces then that build up the rear end? Right now, I've got the bumper and the 3 Gravel Deflectors. Left my parts diagrams at home today, but I don't recall seeing anything else that was supposed to go back there. I see you've got a 41D as well, same as me. Do you have a pic. of your back bumper set-up? My assumption was that bumper bolted to brackets and the gravel deflectors bolted direct to body and filled in the space between the body and the backside of the bumper.

Ben, Thanks for the pic. I took another look at my parts over the weekend. I've got the 2 corners, one's on its way from Buick Farm, and 2 centers. One's got the slots that hold the rubber arrowheads and second, shaped differently but just with bolt holes. I'll use your pic and the ones from Dan to build-up the deflector area. I think I should have everything now that goes back there. Will order 8 of the rubber arrows as that's how many slots I have as well.