Having trouble disconnecting driveshaft from transmission on my 64 Riviera

dhaven64

Hi Everyone,

I have tried everything I know to get the drive shaft out of the transmission but it seems to be getting caught on something in the tunnel. I've removed the 2 center bolts and the 4 on the flange, but with all my pulling, the driveshaft has only moved about 1/2 inch out of the transmission. What am I missing??

Thanks,

Dan

You know there is a big center bearing support up in the X-frame, right?

I assume those are the 2 center bolts you say you removed.

Lift up as you slide back.

Did you look in the shop manual?

BTW, put something under the transmission tailshaft to catch the fluid that will come out when you remove the driveshaft.

Thanks for your reply Jim. Yes, I did remove the center bolts and try as I might, as i lift and pull the shaft rearward, it still seems to be catching in the tunnel. I have the shop manual, but it hasn't helped me determine what is catching. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for your help.

Dan

It should slide straight back with the bolts for the centre hanger bearing removed - check for crud or other debris that may be logged inside the X tunnel ?

You may have already done this, but be sure to mark the rear flange, and any other components to ensure it goes back together 'in phase'.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Thanks for your reply Randy. Ya, I thought it was supposed to slide right out after removing the center bolts, but it's almost as if there is a step I'm missing. I can push the shaft toward the front and then slide it back rearward but it clearly is stopping short of sliding completely out of the transmission. Ughh!

Guest JPArizona

I've run into similar problems before. It could be suction. Similar to the function of a blood groove on a knife. Make sure the vent is clear on the transmission before you pull. If all else fails and you are sure nothing outside is blocking it pull really hard!

Guest JPArizona

Nope, you are just weak. LOL Could you get your wife to help? Maybe the little girl down the street? All jokes aside I still expect as you pull you are creating a vacuum inside. Try slipping a small wire between the yoke and rear seal to create an air vent. Then pull.

Guest JPArizona
Lol. Even a whole troop of girl scouts under there pulling couldn't get it out (no I haven't tried that). I'll try the wire trick right after I get back from signing up for a gym membership :-)

I like your attitude, most guys would have lit it on fire by now. Be patient, this isn't rocket science. You only need to be smarter than the average driveshaft. Anyway you will eventually win. Talk nice to it and keep trying.

Ok so I think I see the problem. It looks like the shaft is separating at the center link joint (cv?) When I pull on the drive shaft it acts like a piston moving in and not quite out of the center cv joint, which doesn't allow the other half of the shaft to move rearward as I pull. Any suggestions??

The center link joint at the carrier bearing is a slip joint. (See shop manual.) It will only go out so far. There is a big nut holding the 2 halves together.

So go up to the transmission and pull the shaft out of the tranny. Break it loose. The splines are stuck from age.