Whitewalls are turning BROWN

idrjoe_sandiego

Has anyone had this problem lately? Over the last 3-4 years, no matter which brand of Wide Whitewall tires I have purchased from two different unnamed vintage tire companies (UTC's) have turned from nice bright white to SH*T brown in under six months. Some have never been on the road, some have never left the climate controlled garage. Doesn't matter. Clean 'em on Sunday, by next Saturday , you can repeat the annoying process.

Any suggestions are welcome regarding alternate sources. Perhaps there is a company out there making these tires actually concerned with quality control.

Please see a parallel thread on AACA General discussion forum: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/tire-advice-700x20-whitewalls-needed-356524.html

Guest Bill Miller

Mine tend to yellow rather than turn brown. After cleaning as best you can, try using white tennis shoe dressing from a running shoe store if they don't clean up well enough.

There is some stuff called Westlys Bleach-Wite. it will work for a month or two. It is bleach and will eat your paint on the rim make it dull. A good working Grand Son a can of Comet cleanser with two small scrub brushes worked good for me. That will last till Fathers Day Each year. I have a friend that swears by 2,000 grit sand paper and water. They do look good but they are the old Bias ply tires. I don not know if it will work on the modern Vilna/Rubber tires. One thin I found was after you get them clean coat them with some like Armerall. good luck Frank

I found using straight (undiluted) "truck wash" which is concentrated detergent and a fingernail brush kept my new set looking good every time they started to turn brown. I was told that the tyre companies were not sealing between the black and white rubber layers during manufacture and that was causing the bleed through of black.

Guest DodgeKCL

I have a set of Coker Commanders that I've had for maybe 25 years. I believe they are 3 1/2" whitewalls. They get "dull" but it takes a long storage period for it to happen. I just use an SOS pad like I've always done and sometimes use a product called Spray 9. All the car people use it up here and I believe it's American. (It really cleans up any rubber. Takes off the dead surface of any rubber.) But your bad bleed through must be something new. I also went out and looked at an unused 16" Coker Commander that has been sitting in one of my garages for 5 years and it shows no bleed through at all. Still looks like new. Perhaps your problem has something to do with the climate where you are and maybe the "climate" where you store your car.

• 2 weeks later...
Use lacquer thinner. Wipe on, wipe off the yellow.

I agree, John. LT seems to be the only effective means of cleaning this brown crud off.

Frank, I wish I had a couple of grandkids to do the heavy scrubbing for me! LOL

Lenny-any brand names you recommend for "truck wash" ?

27Dodger-nine years-wow. How do you apply "rubberized roof coat"?

Bill-white tennis shoe dressing? sounds worth trying. How do you mask off the black?

KCL- as always, you have great info to share. I don't have any problem with our OLD WWW's... it's just the new crap they are peddling (date codes after 2003-2005). Oh, by the way-I was kind of kidding about the climate controlled garage. Actually EVERYONE in my neighborhood has a climate controlled garage.

Doug- BLACKWALLS?? are you crazy??