1948 fuel line question

Pete Phillips

My recently acquired '48 Super was all gassed up and ready for its debut at yesterday's South Central region Buick meet in Waxahachie, Texas, but didn't get out of the driveway due to a new fuel leak on the old flex hose that runs from the frame to the steel line connected to the fuel pump. I installed a supplemental electric fuel pump the day before, to make sure it wouldn't vapor lock on the long trip in this infernal Texas 100-degree heat, and that put too much pressure on the old rubber line. I have the car jacked up in my garage, and am ready to remove the flex line, but am afraid I may inadvertently drain the entire gas tank when I disconnect the line. And the tank is totally full for the trip that didn't happen. Anyone had experience with this problem? There are steel lines at each end of the flex line, so I'm not able to simply bend the line up out of the way, higher than the tank. Pete Phillips, BCA #7338, Leonard, Tx.

post-32059-143142183812_thumb.jpg

That line should be above the tank and you will get some drain back from the pump but it should not drain from the tank.

If you are still worried about it just remove the line to the supply side and put your new hose on that side first, then remove the line from the fuel pump side and replace.

Guest shadetree77

I looked into getting one rebuilt. I bought a NOS one from Bob's Automobilia. It wasn't LISTED as a NOS item so I was pretty upset when it arrived and the rubber hose was dry rotted beyond use. In the end I decided to keep it for a pattern. I looked into getting a hose made at a local shop that specialized in hydraulic hoses and such, but in the end I went with something different. You can buy a rubber fuel hose from CARS that has female connectors on each end. All you have to do then is to put male connectors on the ends of your metal tubing and screw them in. Much more handy if you ever need to replace that rubber hose.