Question from Germany. Engine number correct for Buick Series 24-Six-45 Touring ?

Guest Scampolo

Guest Scampolo

Hello from Germany,

Maybe someone is able to help me with the following question:

I would have two questiones concerning a Buick Series 24-Six-45 Touring Model 1924

Chassis number is : 1179156

Engine Number is: 1215644

Chassis number is correct for model 1924. Also it looks like it was actually built in early 1924 and not in 1923.

Is anybody able to confirm the engine number?

Also: Who built the bodies for the 5-passenger Touring Model ?

Thanks

Jochen

Hi Jochen

My Book Standard Catalogue 1903-2000; Ed by Ron Kowalke gives the engine numbers for Series-24-Six as running from numbers 1064324 to 1239258. Engine numbers are located on the left side of crankcase near front oil filler tube. serial numbers also on the frame (chassis) left side by the gas tank and repeated by the left front wheel. At least that is what the book says. Hope this helps

Cheers

Andrew

Here are a lot of info for early Buicks.Fischer was the body bilder what I know.1923 and 1924 are different body type,1924 first year with 4 wheel brakes,(fenders looks the same).

How about a picture of your Buick,restored or not.

Leif in Sweden

http://www.buickclub.org/BCA%20JUDGING%20MANUAL/BCAjudgingrev2.pdf

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Guest 1922 Buick

Jochen,

Buick records indicate both of your numbers are a late production car. Your engine was built in the seventh block out of eight blocks and your chassis was built in the sixth block out of eight blocks in late 1924.

1922 Buick

Jeff Kearney

Guest 1922 Buick

Leif,

Buick assigned blocks of numbers during production for different models. For example, the first block would be 1-10 the second block would be 11-20 etc.. 1924 production started in May-June 1923, the 45 chassis mentioned above was in the sixth block out of eight blocks 1177758-1183961. The engine was in the seventh block out of eight blocks 1215423-1253092. I hope this helps you.

1922 Buick

Jeff Kearney

Guest Scampolo

Thanks too all so far.

The car does not belong to me but to an elderly gentleman here in Germany. I will ask him, if it is ok to post a pic of the car. The car has German registraton papers from the 1930s. So it is higly likely that it was imported to Germany as a new car.

So it is safe to say that the engine is correct for 1924. Maybe even the original one for this car?

Also it looks like Fisher built really only the closed bodies. See attachment. Anybody able to confirm this?

Cheers!

Jochen

post-96279-143142178717_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...