Dictator engine goes to crating for Australia trip

Gary_Ash

The engine from the 1930 Dictator (Model 53), which I picked up on Long Island, took the next part of its journey to Australia. The fuel pump had been a casualty in getting the engine moved and loaded from its old home, so I got a replacement built at Then and Now Automotive in Weymouth, Mass. They do very good work. They did not have a Stewart-Warner pump but they did put together an AC version with the correct actuator arm. It looks like new. With that, and all of the paperwork in place, I hauled the engine to a specialized crating company in Wilmington, Mass., so that they could build a custom crate using heat-treated wood that meets international shipping specifications. You can't ship overseas in just any old crate!

They used their forklift to get the 600 lb engine out of my trailer, then put it on a pallet temporarily while they build the crate. The old fuel pump and new one will go into the crate, as the fuel pump position leaves it exposed to damage if mounted on the engine. In a couple of days they'll have the crate built. Then the shipping company will come to get it and put it in a container for the 31-day sea voyage to Australia.

post-47871-143142177517_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142177495_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142177508_thumb.jpg

When all of the bills come in, I'll try to post a review. It isn't cheap, but at least it involves shipping a good engine, not a junker. So where else do you find a rare 1930 Studebaker engine for an Australian car? The cost won't be a whole lot worse than shipping across the U.S., though the special crating does add to the cost.