Dipstick query

Franklin31

May be one for asking this trivial query, BUT, my dipstick (151) on the exterior of the crankcase is a continuation of the stick: 1/4" diameter and 2" long. I have seen thicker ones in photos as if they have wood or bakelite around them to be thicker and longer. What should this be on a 1931; it doesn't look exactly correct as it is. Sorry, haven't been to a Trek. Tks~~~ Richard

Dick I have 2 -1932 Franklins in hte garage and a 1930 all look the same like yours. Mike

May be one for asking this trivial query, BUT, my dipstick (151) on the exterior of the crankcase is a continuation of the stick: 1/4" diameter and 2" long. I have seen thicker ones in photos as if they have wood or bakelite around them to be thicker and longer. What should this be on a 1931; it doesn't look exactly correct as it is. Sorry, haven't been to a Trek. Tks~~~ Richard

Richard, If you look at the drawing file, the 1930 is #46307, 1931 is #51526 and replaced by 58427. both that are called for in 1931 don't resemble the 1930. However, they probably had so many left overs that many 31's and 32's had 1930 dipsticks. The two called for don't have a wood or bakelite handle but the #51526 looks like it should! I think the purpose of the aluminum extension was to create a cooler dip stick for those idiots that would grab it with their bare hands after the engine had been running.

Bill