Fuel Filter 56 Olds

nifty 6

Hello, I want to put an after market in line fuel filter before the carb. Does it make sense to put it before the fuel pump instead of after the fuel pump before the carb. The reason before the fuel pump is to catch anything that might get into the fuel pump. Also the bowl on the fuel pump looks dirty and would like to remove it and clean it. How difficult is it to remove it without taking the fuel pump out completely. Doesn't look easy to get to the bowl to turn the wheel that holds the bail and glass bowl from either the top or from underneath. I checked the fuel pressure and it is operating up to specs. So wondering is there any point cleaning the bowl and filter thats in it if there is no issue with fuel pressure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron...

hi, most times you'll see the filter mounted after the fuel pump, the glass bowl mounted on the bottom side of your fuel pump is not hard to remove, turn the nut till it stops, hold the bowl with one hand, and swing the wire retainer one way or the other so that you can loosen and lower the glass bowl. do not buy and use a inline fuel filter with a glass cylinder, make sure you replace the glass bowl gasket also.

hi, most times you'll see the filter mounted after the fuel pump, the glass bowl mounted on the bottom side of your fuel pump is not hard to remove, turn the nut till it stops, hold the bowl with one hand, and swing the wire retainer one way or the other so that you can loosen and lower the glass bowl. do not buy and use a inline fuel filter with a glass cylinder, make sure you replace the glass bowl gasket also.

Thanks for your reply, Do I turn the nut clockwise or counter clockwise? would it be easier to remove the bowl while under the car or from the top, would this filter be OK?..just learning as I go along,

410-G3_2.gif

It'll be easier from the bottom with the car on a lift. If it's like the 63-64 cars, it's a little cramped under there and the bowl is actually in a recess in the frame rail.

If you're going to install the inline filter, I tend to put them on the suction side of the pump as that way they are not under any pressure at all. I haven't had any fuel starvation issues doing that.