64 Brake Lines - the one that runs along the chassis

Guest lvrpool32

Guest lvrpool32

Went to move the '64 out to give it detail and found the brake pedal went to the floor...master cylinder has no fluid...puddle under the left chassis rail at the rear...the line at the junction with the flex line is broken. So my question is...can I get this brake line (the main one that runs to the rear from the distribution block under the master cylinder)? or should I just buy a length of 3/16 line and make my own (it must be 7 feet long!!)? and lastly how hard is it to replace the whole thing? any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks, Nick

A common problem. The line that runs across the rear axle is even more commonly rusted through. You can replace with stainless, if you want.

Easy to buy. Inline Tube Not hard to make your own; you need the double-flaring tool. Attach a string to the old one and pull it out. Use string to pull in new one. Keep ends of tube sealed well to keep crud out (technical term).

This is a PERFECT example of why I recommend the dual master cylinder conversion. One failure anywhere in the circuit leaves you with no brakes. Not fun. This is a very heavy car to try to stop the Fred Flintstone way.

If you want to keep a single MC, you should replaced all hard lines, replace all soft hoses, replace all wheel cylinders, and replace MC.

I got mine from Inline Tube as Jim mentioned. I went with stainless steel. I think the SS is superior in terms of corrosion resistance. It is a lot stiffer too than conventional tubes. It's a long line, but it arrives wound in a coil so it can be shipped reasonably. Once it unwinds, it is bent and flared perfectly. I recommend. PRL

Inline tube is great. I just ordered a complete set for my 63 and it was here in 4 days. I have used Inline tube's stuff before with great results.