scratched windshield, 1966 Riviera

Guest Marc Rosaaen

Guest Marc Rosaaen

There's a 66 for sale with a small scratch in the windshield, from the right wiper. Does anyone know how easy it is to get a replacement windshield, or if a small scratch can be fixed? I know nothing about windshields. Thanks, Marc

PS: I'm assuming the 66 and 67 windshields are identical. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Edited by Marc Rosaaen (see edit history)

I personally have never had any luck getting scratches out of windshields. When the auto glass shops open on Monday give some a call and ask them what they have access to. I know that new windshields are available for the 1st generation Rivieras so I would think that they're also available for the 2nd generation cars.

Ed

Any competant auto glass shop can get you a windshield. 66-70 Riv is the same. The glass itself not counting labor is still reasonably priced. Be prepared that if/when the glass is removed you may find a rusty pinch weld(metal edge under the glass) and trim clips for the stainless molding. Sometimes what seems like a simple glass replacement opens a bigger can of worms.

If you can catch a razor knife blade on the scratch, at best it can be made less noticeable by polishing. If you can't catch an edge it can be polished out but the whole windshield will need polished to look uniform. This is a labor intensive process and will exceed cost of windshield replacement in most cases unless you DIYS. Typically people choose to restore/polish a windshield if they want to keep the original date coded glass otherwise replacement is a far better choice.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)