Turn signals for 1938 commander?

Guest 37Dictator

Echo... I added turn signals to my 1937 Dictator and used a Yankee 4 Wire Switch that I see regularly on ebay. [The 4 wire uses a separate front and tail light signal bulb and the switch does not cancel ...you have to remember to do it ] They look very similar to the Accessory Turn Signal Kit Studebaker offered for the 1937 Dictator and President models. [im surprised to hear they did not offer it for 1938 models ] I had a period harness made up from Rhode Island Wiring Service.

I used fog lights for the front signal lights and added bulbs to the rear tail light housings as I didn t want to add extra lights. If you would like any more information I'd be glad to forward some to you.

Frank

If the flashing indicator light is to work, I believe the switch body needs to be grounded. Given that most steering columns are painted and provide a poor ground path for the switch, you might consider adding a 5th wire from the body of the switch and attaching it to a ground location under the dash.

Frank. Thanks for the info. I'm curious about you mentioning you "added bulbs to the rear taillight housing". Was there room for a second bulb? There is only room for one bulb in my tail lights on the 38. Or did you change out to a dual filament? Most of the switches I see advertised are 7 wire.....

Guest 37Dictator

Echo the 37 has a larger tail light housing than the 38. The bracket inside that holds the running/brake light had a 3/16" dia hole. I used this hole to mount a plate and a second light bulb socket to it for the turn signal . In your case because the 38 has such a small tail light housing you would be better to use the 7 wire system as it will allow you to use one dual filament light bulb for running/park - brake/turn sign if im not mistaken and you wont have to mount extra lights.

Frank

Echo: I think you'll find you need TWO bulbs and TWO bulb holders. Your current taillight bulb is likely an 1157, with one filament for nighttime running lites and the second filament for brakes.You have no "unused" filaments available for turn signals, and you don't want to make either of those filaments serve double-duty. Instead, you'll have to add a second bulb holder with a single filament bulb like an 1156. Only other option is to mount separate rear turn signal units somewhere on the exterior of the car.

The difference between the 4 wire and 7 wire switches is that with the 4 wire switch your need an additional bulb or two filament bulbs.

With the 7 wire switch you can use the parking light bulb and the brake light bulb for turn signals.

Robert Kapteyn