Another mid-63 model year change

CheezeMan

Folks, After consulting with Jim Cannon at Lexington, I believe we have found another minor change made during the 63 model year. The early Rivs did not have a fastener at the rear of the center console. One was spotted in Lexington, and I have seen a few others over the course of the last few years.

I believe Jim was interested in tracking this change. The one we spotted in Lexington had an 11E build date, I seem to recall. If you have anything later without the screw, please let us know.

post-65039-143141979396_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143141979399_thumb.jpg

YES!!!

If you own a '63 Riv, I would like to know (through PM or e-mail to me, not here) if you have this screw below your rear center console light lens, or not... and what the build date code is on your car (upper left corner of your data plate). I am particularly interested in cars built in December, January and February, because I suspect that this is the timeframe the change took place.

I will publish findings as soon as I have enough data to narrow down the change date.

Thanks for pointing this out, Chuck. I had not noticed it before.

Very interesting! The change will most likely be nailed down to the Christmas/New Years break from `62 into `63. Keep in mind the console was not secured at Fisher but was done at Buick assembly so to nail down the date will be even more speculative than the body build features...unless one has a build sheet. The exact date can then be determined,

Tom Mooney

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stevenu170

Hello Jim, I own a 63' Riviera with the build date 02A. #20079 it has the hole in the console for the screw, its just missing. I can see the bracket for the screw to attach. Also my spare tire attaches the the floor of the trunk.

Hello Jim, I own a 63' Riviera with the build date 02A. #20079 it has the hole in the console for the screw, its just missing. I can see the bracket for the screw to attach. Also my spare tire attaches the the floor of the trunk.

Great! Could you please e-mail me a photo of your data plate above the power brake booster? I keep a database of '63s.

I have had a report of this screw being on a car built with a 12B date code. If anyone has an earlier date, please contact me.