Kissel Speedsters

ron hausmann

All,

Do any of you Speedster experts out there know if the original Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters used a 117-inch wheelbase? That's a Kissel Model 6-38 Chassis. 50 early Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters were made in 1917-1918. The models that all other Kissels used then waswere based upon the 6-38 chassis. Thereafter they manufactured the longer 124-inch Model 6-45 Chassis. We have conflicting information about whether or not these very early Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters used the new 6-45 from the start, or if a few used the 6-38. Pictures of my 6-45 Kissel Speedster are attached.

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E.

post-58797-143141978268_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143141978272_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143141978278_thumb.jpg

Thought you might want to see this different version of a Kissel with the rear spare. I shot these in 1979 in San Diego at the "Wheels for Wings" fundraising show. I cannot remember who owned it.

post-37352-143141981218_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141981225_thumb.jpg

Thanks Layden, keiser,

The first Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters made 1917 thru the first half of 1923 had "suicide seats". Starting in 1924 they shortened the 124 inch wheelbase to 121 inches and put golf club holders on both fenders, eliminating the suicide seats. Also the first Kissels had only rear spares but some time in 1922, they made sidemounts an option. Rear mounted spares versus sidemounted ones continued to be an option thru the 1920's as did rumble seat optional starting in 1925.

Although they made only about 50-100 Gold Bug Speedsters each year, they were custom ordered and you could get an impressive number of options. Wood weels, spot lights, trunks, bumpers, 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder, etc. When you take those various options, and then see that they often mixed 6-55 and 6-45 components, nearly every one of the remaining 25 restored Gold Bugs, and 15 unrestored piles, are different and unique.

My question about real early Gold Bugs above is important because Kissel production records were lost decades ago. and the very old persons who have some information or hand written notes, have different histories of the first 50 Kissel "Silver Special" Gold Bug Speedsters. I may have parts of one of these but just can't tell.

You can check out my website for tons of interesting Kissel pictures www.kisselsandclassiccars.com

Thanks, Ron Hausmann

Keiser,

The pictures that you posted from 1979 in San Diego are of a 1921 Kissel Gold Bug Speedster which is now owned by Peter Heller from Ohio. He brought his Gold Bug to Michigan for the Gold Bug gathering in 2010. He actually drove it on the expressway from Ohio to Michigan! I saw him do it! He had a moving car show with viewers following and pacing him.

A Gold bug will do 50-70 mph and keep it up. Note the modernized front bumper on this car with directionals.

See more pictures of this car on my website above.

thanks, Ron Hausmann