One thing begets another

So I got the rocker arm done, the valves adjusted, the engine running much better and cooler, and the valve cover back on (see here and here) on my '40-56S and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. :D Since the battery was on its last legs, I decided it was time for a replacement. Batteries Plus here locally sells a 3EH which is a direct drop in physically but has about 20% more capacity. So while the battery was out I decided to get the battery tray out and clean it. Although the bolts were pretty rusted, I got it out OK.

Next, since I had room to work with the battery tray gone, I decided to check the vacuum advance. It appeared to move but would not hold a vacuum, so I pulled it and checked in the shop. BAD - insufficient travel and leaks. Luckily Tim Romans had one which he very kindly gave to me. It checked out perfectly to spec. I checked the breaker plate and it seemed to be sticking so I lubed the ball supports with lubriplate. Seems much better - also put a shot of moly into the distributor zerk.

So, I figured I could clean out the fuel pump filter bowl while I had additional access on the right side. Someone in the past had taken a slice out of the steel line on the supply line and put in a short piece of (now rotten) fuel hose with old style wire clamps. I had not noticed this before because the battery and tray blocked the view. So I decided to put in Mike in Colorado's BIG fuel filter right there on the input side of the pump and I would clean the bowl and screen and not have to touch it again. But I had a tough time getting the wrench on the bolt head, so I figured maybe the oil filter was in the way. I removed that OK but not much better on access to the bowl nut so I decided to pull the pump (AJ). So as I was getting it off I noticed a fair amount of gas seeming to leak around the pump rocker. :eek: Now, at this point I remembered that the oil has a strong gas smell, but I had attributed that to the recent overhaul. But now I am wondering if the gas is leaking in thru the pump.

So after removing the pump I pulled the bowl and this is what I found:

post-87161-143141963005_thumb.jpg

EWWWWWWW!!! :eek::eek::eek:

For some reason I had thought the pump was a recent rebuild but obviously that was *not* the case!

post-87161-143141963036_thumb.jpg

So I put in a rush order at Bob's for a rebuild kit and commenced to strip down and clean out the pump. The kit came in but no instructions! So I was able to procure some (thanks Allan!) as well as some info off the net. At this point the only thing that has me flummoxed is the filter screen. Here is what I got in the kit and the old screen:

post-87161-143141963082_thumb.jpg

So do I carefully cut off the old screen and epoxy the new screen to the frame? Or just let it go since I will have a filter right in front of it? Any ideas?

I cleaned the pump parts. The pin the the pump rocker was swaged on so I had to grind that down before I could drive it out (Bob's provides a new pin with c-clips). The old gaskets on the valve seats were a bit stubborn but I have a small grinding stone that is just the right size so I was able to get the seats nice and shiny. I also emery's the flat part of the castings until I got a nice even shine so hopefully any warping had been taken care of. All was then power washed and is ready for assembly, hopefully on Monday.

The interesting thing is the pump appeared to be OK with good pressure and volume, but after seeing the bowl and the possibility of gas going into the crankcase I decided to go ahead and rebuild. More news as it occurs...

Cheers, Dave

post-87161-143141962973_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143141963021_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143141963051_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143141963067_thumb.jpg

Proud of ya Dave............

Now you know why I posted "why you should open all your covers". I guess a fuel pump qualifies too.

You never know what some other bloke did, or said he did, till you look.

Mike in Colorado

OK, so I got it all cleaned up and ready to reassemble:

post-87161-143141971127_thumb.jpg

Reassembly of the fuel side was pretty straightforward. I carefully followed the instructions on preflexing the diaphragm.

post-87161-143141971149_thumb.jpg

So now I turned to the filter. After closely examining it, it appeared to be a thin copper frame crimped over the old mesh. So I thought I would give it a go to pry it apart. I have some very thin high quality Swiss jewelers screwdrivers so I took one of the thinner ones at 0.0007" and looked for a weak spot. Found it and was able to get it apart enough to use one my regular very small screwdrivers. In progress pix:

post-87161-143141971194_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind the frame is pretty flimsy so I had to do this *very* carefully. After I finished I cleaned up the frame and ready for reassembly:

post-87161-143141971209_thumb.jpg

I thought I might have to use a little Permatex #2 to hold the mesh in place while I worked it in, but that was not necessary. I worked in the center first all the way around, then the outside. Then I crimped with pliers and a small bench vise. Finished filter:

post-87161-143141971254_thumb.jpg

The vac side. Again, no problems, but followed instructions carefully. Check out the diaphragm flexing tool I made out of vise grips. Also, the flexing spacer tool I made out of an old green metal coat hanger, which was just the right diameter.

post-87161-143141971164_thumb.jpg

So it looks good, everything solid and tests good. Next is to put it back in the car. But wait, there's more! Got some more work to do first, see Part 2 coming up directly...

Cheers, Dave

post-87161-143141971179_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143141971224_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143141971239_thumb.jpg

So in the course of the distro reinstall (see here) I reinstalled the fuel pump.

Ready to go back in:

post-87161-143141980055_thumb.jpg

Reinstall went very smooth. As a side note, the fitting on the fuel output side is awkward to access, so I basically undid the clamps on the steel lines so I could maneuver the fuel pipe and removed/reinstalled that particular fitting while the pump was sitting on the fender. Much easier.

Initial checkout good, pressure test at 500 rpm 5.5 lbs, flow test 1 pint in 30 secs. That's gas, not beer, Grant! So I did a vac test on the wiper motor and it leaks down pretty quickly (plus it doesn't function worth a cr@p!). So I capped off the end of the vac pipe input for now, wipers are way down the list. I did put a vac gauge on that line beforehand, and the vac shows as going from 0 lbs to about 7 lbs, no matter the engine speed. This does not seem right. I have a video of this, will try to get it on YouTube tomorrow. Maybe I messed up on the vac side of the pump when reassembling? Set the diaphragm wrong?

So other than that I think the fuel side is working really well. Thanks for reading and all of your support!

Cheers, Dave

Guest Grant Magrath

Knock? Pull each spark plug lead one at a time and see if it goes away. Or use a timing light and see if the flash coincides with the knock. Good luck Dave!

Cheers

Grant

15 inMg isn't great. Could be you have lousy compression. (No can compressy, No can sucky :0 )

Did you try advancing or retarding a little to see if it when up ?? (Around 17-20 would be nicer)

The jitters is usually a dud valve. I'd do as per Grant's suggestion and pull 1 lead at a time and note any change. You may just have a dud plug or lead.

Thankfully, I've never had to deal with Vacuum pumps. Holden bodies went electric motor. For some unknown reason, they didn't mount them in rubber and they give of a shocker of a noise. Grang, grang, grang.......

Danny