pix of 2 different timing chain kits , for future reference

rocky5517

Encl are pix of 2 different kits I got from Cars for my 67 Riv. Their catalogue shows 2- one for "early" 430 engines, '67, and one for "late" 430's for 67 as well as 68 thru 76.

I took both because there seems to be some confusion re which one fits a 67. In my case, it's the EARLY kit. The kits are very different from each other; the early one has a longer chain, and the gears/sprockets are different. The late one came in a box by "Elgin".

The early one was a few bucks more. Hope this helps someone down the road.post-85985-143141930795_thumb.jpg

There is only one style timing set for all 400, 430, 455 engines. Apparently CARS has an error in the listing. Other major suppliers only list one set including TA Performance. If someone has facts that prove otherwise please post them. I have never heard of an early and late style. The blocks would have had to be different and we know that isn't a possibility.

Buick parts book shows there were 2 different camshaft sprockets used in 1967. "67 400-430 eng. 1st type #1368013 sprocket, pilot dia. 2.20"; 67 400-430 eng. 2nd type #1233449 sprocket, pilot dia. 2.26". The 2nd type is same used thru 1976. There is only one part number each listed for the crankshaft sprocket and the timing chain 1967-1976.

John

Would that account for one chain being approx 2" longer than the other?

No--Buick parts book indicates timing chain is the same for all 67 400-430 engines. The pilot diameter on the sprocket relates only to its mating to the camshaft, and does not affect timing chain length.

John

Edited by John (see edit history)

John

You were right re the timing kits. BOTH of the kits I got were wrong. The early one looked close to being correct but the new cam sprocket does not fit- it's about a 1/16" too big. That would acct for your two measurements showing the later one to be bigger. Have ordered another set. Wish me luck.

Sam