1924 Six not charging

Matt Harwood

I recently acquired a 1924 model 24-48 opera coupe that's a pretty solid car with an older restoration and it seems to run and drive quite well. However, it came to me with a dead battery and after doing some checking I discovered that the generator is not charging. The starter turns well and the car starts right up and runs well, but there's no juice coming back. Any thoughts on where to start? The combined starter/generator unit is kind of new to me and I don't want to start digging around in there until I know what I'm looking for. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

post-31138-14314192132_thumb.jpg

These folks are the only people to work with:

Check out website @ www.aerrebuild.com

We can restore, rebuild or repair any of the following items:

Starters * Generators * Distributors * Starter / Generator Combo Units

Regulators * Solenoids * Ignition Coils * Wiper Motors * Blower Motors

Overdrive Solenoids * Sirens * Horns

Window Regulators (Specializing in Manual)

We specialize in the old, rare & unique.

Superior Quality & Attention to Detail.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.

jason@aerrebuild.com

Here are a circuit diagram,not very hard to check what`s wrong with the starter-generator on place when using a voltmeter.Check if the bruches goes back in the right "generator" possition after starting the car too.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143141921339_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Leif, that schematic is very helpful. I'll start looking around inside and see if perhaps it's just the brushes not engaging properly. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a follow-up, we replaced all the brushes in the generator/starter and it's working as it should. Given the unusual design of the thing, it's critical that they all be doing their thing. Now it keeps the battery topped off easily. As long as we were in there, we also rebuilt the carburetor, installed new points/rotor/condenser/cap plus fresh plugs, and now it starts almost instantly and runs great. I took it on a 30-mile drive across town and was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is to drive once you master the unusual shift pattern.

I'm so relieved it was something simple!