1947 Buick trunk handle lock tumbler removal

Matt:

Look carefully at the steel shank of the handle on the steel part that goes into the body about 3/4" from the chrome part. There should be a pin on a tangent through the steel shank to retain the "guts" of the lock assy. Removing the pin will allow disassembly. take lots of pictures.

Bill

Let me elaborate some more.......the key works and I'm able to unlock it, but the shaft free spins inside the handle. This makes it difficult to turn if the trunk is closed and sealed well. I am going to have the piece re-chromed and was getting everything together to take to plater. I would imagine that the tumbler assembly should be taken out to be chromed anyways.

Can someone move this thread to the post war. I don't know how I managed to get it here..................:P

Thanks to Bill, I was able to remove the lock mechanism. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how the handle is still spinning on the shaft. The previous owners must have spun it on a weld, or was it press fit into the handle so hard that it shouldn't spin. Either way, I have to figure this out or I'm changing handles.:P

On the Holden bodied '39s, the handle is different yet very similar. Our handle has a steel shaft that is cast into the main die cast body of the handle.

It has a few notches in the shaft that holds it in position on the handle.

It sounds like someone at some stage has mega reefed it and turned the handle on the shaft.

They turn up often enough on ebay so for a few bucks, it may be easier to just buy a NOS replacement and save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Probably cost as much to replace as getting it chromed.

Danny