GYRO-MATIC

Gwood

Does anyone know if dodge made a 3-speed manual transmission for a 1949 dodge coronet. I have the trim piece that says CORONET GYRO-MATIC but I thought the GYRO-MATICS shifted themselves, this car is manual. I'am I missing something or maybe the trim piece was added later?

Glenn

Gyromatic was Dodge's name for Fluid Drive automatic. I suggest either someone got the trim piece off another car, or your car was converted to manual trans. I know some cars were changed over when they had transmission problems, if you had a manual trans car to strip parts off of the change over could be done in a day.

Gyromatic was a semi-automatic and it had a clutch. If you check the gear locations, with Gyromatic you will not be able to put the car into "1st" gear. Reverse is in the same location as on a 3 speed manual, but 2nd gear position is low range on Gyromatic and 3rd gear is high range. Also, Gyromatic does not have a gear selector display as automaric transmissions had.

You need the clutch to shift between reverse, low and high ranges. Low and high ranges each had two gears, but you needed to lift your foot off the accelerator to shift from low to high. Downshift was automatic.

Bill

Toronto, ON

Thank you for your knowledge, I still leaning toward a 3 speed manual transmission with 1st being down toward you, 2nd up and out and 3rd down and out. Is there a place on the trans or engine that may have engine numbers to to be certain?

• 2 weeks later...