Need New Tire Advice

packick

After running with my current bias ply tires for the past 17 years, I am in the market for a new set of tires for my 1937 120. I would like to buy a set of radials but have some questions:

1. Are the 700R16 radials the correct replacement for the old bias 700-16 tires?

2. The rims require a tube regardless of bias or radial. Is there anything to be concerned about running a tube in a radial?

3. Do the modern 700R16 radials look like the bias 700-16 tires or do they give it a "streed rod" look?

4. And finally, will the 700R16 radials scrape the inside of the fenders when turning the wheel all the way?

Thanks for any help.

My preference is that prewar cars do not need radial tires. If you have a steering issue, the radial tires will not help your problem. If you are dead-set on radials, I would recommend that you first make sure your front end has been completely checked and/or rebuilt: king pins, tie rods, shocks, center steering link, and steering box. Once that has been done, take it out for a test drive and see if you think you need radials.

West:

Thanks for the tip. The front end of my 120 is not an issue. The reason I am considering radials is because here in Washington State they use blacktop rather than cement to pave the major highways. Over time, the heavy trucks wear ruts into the blacktop. With the bias ply tires it sometimes feels like I am in a luge rather than a Packard, swaying back and forth within the lane. I don't notice the ruts as much with my post-war '51 Patrician which I DO have radials installed on. Other than that issue, I have no complaints with the bias ply tires.

If you do go with radials, the paper tags inside the tires will cause abraision against the tubes. This will in short order wear through the tubes, and will lose the air, and go flat.

This happened to me with three (3) tires in the first hundred miles.

You may be able to remove the paper tags, especially if it is done before wide whites are vulcanized to the tires.

Joe,

Contact Diamond back classic tires. They have some great tires for your car. I just was working on a 41 180 Packard with a new set. Looks like bias and great whitewalls. And it drove great !!!!! I have bought many set from them. Good quality and no white wall fading and color bead. They are great quality and require very little wheel wights ( unlike other brands) . I mount them with no tube, just put in a valve stem, have the wheels powder coated if not in great shape now.

The good-less change of flats or blow outs - no tubes, and the best drive you have felt . You can look around while driving and not have to fight to keep in in the lane. I have done this for years and no problems !!!

-

Steve Fisher

Steve, thanks for the advice. I have a set of Diamond Back radials on my '51 Patrician and love them. I am still debating whether to go with the traditional bias ply or radials. I have been told that you can't run tubeless tires on the old '37 Packard rims. I guess I will have to do more research on that.