Tie rod 1937 Dodge truck

vicpanza

My tie rod has a bend in it that takes it about an inch and a half out of straight (if that makes any sense!), and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how I should repair this. Or, should I replace it. It measures 0.77" in diameter and there isn't any available off the shelf stock rod that I can find, and if I could, is there a specific type of metal that I need to use? Any ideas as to where I might find a replacement??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Vic

37 Dodge MC

50 Studebaker convertible

Find an interchange manual and see what else will work, I bet they are still avail and with a little digging you will have lot more options, if you decide to straighten it than rule of thumb is cold, I would heat it myself and straighten it allowing it to cool gradually but that again is not the recommended way to do it.

Looked up 1936 part number and it's not the same. 1937-38 have the same part number as my truck. Wonder how different that are??? My part number is 666414. Probably need to pull it apart this weekend and get some more precise measurements. Thanks for touching base on this.

Vic

I doubt that the part numbers would be the same . Unless I'm wrong, I would think that Chrysler changed numbers each year like they do today. Maybe they didn't! Truck numbers are likely to be different that car numbers to differentiate the two. I'll get you some measurements.

I doubt that the part numbers would be the same . Unless I'm wrong, I would think that Chrysler changed numbers each year like they do today. Maybe they didn't! Truck numbers are likely to be different that car numbers to differentiate the two. I'll get you some measurements.

In my experience with the earlier stuff they did not change the numbers every year, only when something changed within the part, the change did not necessarily mean that the current part would not work on the old application but it also did not guarantee that it would. The numbers remained the same whether it be for truck or auto if they shared the same part.

37 is getting a little later for me but not so late that I feel the statement above is not still valid.

1934 numbers stopped at approx 632 so that part is prob. not a re-vamp of an earlier part. I think I have truck books only up till 39 and can look within them if that would maybe help?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks for all the info. I have both truck and car books for the 1930's and that where I got the cross reference. They show the 666414 part number for the 1937 D5 and 1938 D8. So it appears that they used same parts (and numbers) between cars and trucks, at least in this case.

Thanks 1930 for the info; I'm not really into all the tech stuff with the numbers and such!

No problem, its a collective learning experience, BTW 666414 is D-5 all except 7 pass sedan and limo. D-6 D-8 and D-9 pass car, not all serial numbers, more info avail if requested and MC, RC, TC and TD truck. Books end at 39 so I would bet they are used up into the 40s

I would straighten it cold. There isn't as much driving stress as one would think, on the rod itself. Remember, the rod is connected to the spindle arm with a little BOLT in some cases. others have a cup & ball, spring loaded connection that are overlooked by many, when the ball gets worn to a oval. They still seem to "hang on".

In my experience with the earlier stuff they did not change the numbers every year, only when something changed within the part, the change did not necessarily mean that the current part would not work on the old application but it also did not guarantee that it would. The numbers remained the same whether it be for truck or auto if they shared the same part.

37 is getting a little later for me but not so late that I feel the statement above is not still valid.

1934 numbers stopped at approx 632 so that part is prob. not a re-vamp of an earlier part. I think I have truck books only up till 39 and can look within them if that would maybe help?

Jason's statement matches my opinion: I strongly suspect that part numbers were issued sequentially as they were designed. And Chrysler engineers definitely like to reuse part designs across makes and years if it made sense.

No expert, but I believe that type of part should be straightened cold.

But, if it is true that the '37 & '38 Dodge passenger car used the same tie rod, you can buy one new from Rare Parts. Their part number 26727 according to their web site. They don't show it on the truck side, or at least if they do I missed it.