Gas Treatment

Finfan1

Guest steveskyhawk

No such thing as seafoam on the west coast unless you go to the sea shore. IMO keeping the gas tank full to the brim eliminates fuel problems. Reason being that varnish forms when fuel evaporates. Full tank has no air therefore no varnish

Guest Corvanti

varnish, occurs when old gas, full or near empty, sits in a vehicle for months. not a problem for those that can drive their vehicles during the winter months with fresh gas added, or add something like "Sta-Bil" to prevent degradation of fuel. better a full tank, but the fuel lines will suffer without a full start up to operating temp. not to mention the transmission, suspension, tires, etc. but that is for another thread...

yeah, ethanol would "clean", but the moisture will cause problems in even vehicles as "new" as our Reattas, not built to accept alcohol fuel.

when i had my '99 Corvette, "Chevron Techron" concentrate, seemed to be the additive of choice for C5 owners in the US. i'd rate it a distant 2nd choice compared to Seafoam. but if you really can't legally purchase the Seafoam in certain locales, it's better than the rest!

my $0.02. :)

Guest 89 Maui

Steve -

I question your keeping the tank full and having no air. I just replaced my fuel tank and Reatta's fuel tanks extend up around the cubbyhole compartments and the fuel inlet is at least 4" below the top of the fuel tank which means it is full of air. It is not possible to fill the tank full because the air cannot be displaced by fuel. I would recommend a product called STA-BIL to holding the varnish down when the car is driven very little..

I will attach a photo of the fuel tank so you can see the "humps".

Woody

post-77335-143141873124_thumb.jpg

post-77335-143141873153_thumb.jpg

Edited by 89 Maui
Added photo (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti
Corvanti,What do you mean by this? John F.

John, see post #6... anything that's "banned" in California wouldn't surprise me. (but you can usually smuggle it in via ebay or other places). :rolleyes:

in Indiana, you should be able to pick it up at a local FLAPS. i get my Seafoam at WalMart.:)

Guest steveskyhawk

Woody and all,

Take a look at that tank again. There is a vent right next to the filler neck that lets the air out of the "humps" as you fill it up. Varnish doesn't form in the absence of air. Varnish is the residue from evaporated gas. A legitimate California Smog check pulls a vacuum on the fuel system to confirm that it is sealed. No need for seafoam and our cars run fine.

Corvanti,

Yah, I was just looking for some clarification.

As you pointed out, it's apparently illegal to have SeaFoam in your possession in CA. "Pot" is OK though.

Very few things in IN. are banned or illegal. SeaFoam is OK. Although, "Pot" is not.

Here's the short list of OK stuff in IN.

1.) SeaFoam. OK.

2.) Fireworks. OK.

3.) Concealed Carry. OK. (if you are 18 years old or older)

4.) Buy a handgun. OK. (but, you must be 21 or older to buy)

4.a) No. I'm not kidding. An 18 year old kid can legally conceal-carry but, cannot legally purchase the firearm he's carrying.

5.) Run red lights, blow through stop signs, turn on red without stopping even though posted "No turn on red", No turn signal. OK Failure to yield, etc. All OK.

6.) Lake and Porter county's are home to three maybe four large steel mills. They spew tons of pollutants into the air and water. OK.

(But, if you live in either of those two counties, you must have your cars emissions tested and pass said test or you can't legally drive the vehicle. Considering how the folks here pay attention to the other laws regarding automobiles, I doubt that stops them from driving.)

John F.