38dodge brake problem

johnny38

hi all

any help put new front and back brakes on my D8 last fall havent drove for awhile but today weather good drove a long way around town pedal got stiff and i notice that brake lights stayed on all the time even when the car is parked and engine off put a new brake sensor on awhile back and i have power going to it its seems like the pressure to the brake sensor is always there so the lights stay on i pull 1 wire off sensor lights go out any help with problem

thanks john

You may have to remove the toeboard to gain access to the cylinder. Because the push rod is not connected to the piston just working the brake pedal may not work. You may have to remove the push rod and rubber boot over the rear of the plunger boss to actually see the piston. It the piston us jammed in the cylinder ,you'll have to remove the cylinder(in all probability) to release it and find out why it jammed.

You may have to remove the toeboard to gain access to the cylinder. Because the push rod is not connected to the piston just working the brake pedal may not work. You may have to remove the push rod and rubber boot over the rear of the plunger boss to actually see the piston. It the piston us jammed in the cylinder ,you'll have to remove the cylinder(in all probability) to release it and find out why it jammed.

Sounds like the m/cylinder pushrod is not set right. If you dont get this adjustment correct the primary cup inside the cylinder doesnt return far enough, after brake release, to uncover the m/cylinder compensating port, this then wont allow return fluid to bleed back into the the m/cylinder and causes a pressure bulid up which activates the brake switch.

You may well find also that the brakes are dragging, dependent on the trapped fluid pressure; if you havent got a book then just go to the m/cylinder and back off the length of the pushrod a bit- give a few threads slack - and see what happens.