Approx. value of 1955 New Yorker St. Regis

Guest Sig556

Guest Sig556

Hello to all. I hope to become a more permanent fixture here and, currently at least, that will depend on whether I purchase a vehicle in the next few days.

I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1955 New Yorker St. Regis. I don't have pictures to post.

The vehicle has been in storage for a minimum of 5 years and it was not a daily runner for many years prior to that. I believe I will get it from the original owner. It is my understanding that the owner's husband was a mechanic, or mechanically inclined, and did the work on the vehicle until his death - at this time the vehicle was not driven much.

The paint is in good condition (no chipping, etc.) as far as I can tell. It is under about 1/2 inch of dust. The interior is in good condition, no cracked seats; however they show signs of were. The dash is in good condition, also. I believe it came with the Hemi, however, the executor believes his uncle either rebuilt or dropped in a crate engine. That is to say I'm not sure if the original Hemi is still there. There appears to be no rust, no dents, and all the chrome is present and does not appear pitted.

I do NOT know if the vehicle was stored wet or dry and I am prepared to deal with that issue if the vehicle is purchased.

The vehicle is a CA car and, as noted earlier, has been garaged or stored inside. It is located in the greater Sacramento, CA area. I have only viewed the car in the storage unit for about 5 minutes so I don't have specifics.

I have looked on and find it difficult to determine a decent price for the vehicle. I am only looking for a ball park figure as I am aware there are too many variables that could change the game. To those that are more knowledgable about these matters:

What is a decent price for a non-runninng good condition vehicle?

Edited by Sig556 (see edit history)

I would think an offer of 5,000-6,000 if you want the car would be acceptable as long as you figure in the cost of a complete mechanical freshening in your offer to be sure you aren't going to be buried before you start. If the paint and chrome are actually really good that will save you a ton of money. As much as any one of us would like to buy a car like that for 1300 sellers today have to only take 30 seconds on the internet to figure out what a car is worth or what they could start pricing at. If you hit them with that 1500 dollar offer they may close the door and not entertain another. If you try to be reasonable in the first place there is a better chance you will get the car. even if you come in a little less than they were thinking you have a good chance of getting it and for your offer.

Someone told me before that bought a Franklin when they made the offer they told the seller I can afford to offer you X number of dollars. The seller didn't take the offer then but they did get a call back later. That way you aren't necessarily saying a car is worth X number of dollars just what you are able to pay them for it at this time. Hopefully that makes sense. That has stuck with me for the last few years.

I unfortunately haven't been in the position since to beable to use that method as the last few cars I bought were already priced and I just asked there bottom line. The price they gave me worked and I bought the cars.

Good luck. It's an interesting car. My Friend has a 55 Newyorker.

NADA Lists a running car between 18,850 and $32,100

If it does not have a hemi, a rebuilt one will cost $4000+.

Here is a discription of one for sale by a dealer that I found in Google.

This white and platinum 1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe St. Regis 2 door hardtop is a second owner, all original, low mileage classic car ready to be shown and enjoyed. This exquisite bone-stock survivor came from the Hollywood estate of Arlene Belvior in 1985, when the current owner acquired it. At the time of the purchase, the car had been garaged stored for 18 years and had 18,000 original miles. The current owner cleaned the fuel system and got the car running and driving. The St. Regis is the fancier of the 55 New Yorker 2 door hardtops, which featured special grill panels between the headlights and special rear top pillar trim and badging. The car currently has about 40,000 miles and has always been garaged since the purchase. In 1995, the car was featured in the national NAPA calendar. The car has power windows, seats and brakes. The left side has a repairable scrap with small dents and there is two small dents in the top of the front left fender. There is some paint chipping on both doors. The only things the car needs is repair of the fuel gauge which is not working and replacement of rear power window switches. The interior is in very nice all-original condition. The 331 CID Chrysler hemi V-8 and Powerflite automatic transmission are in good condition and the car runs and drives great. This solid #2-3 car is priced well below market value so do not miss this opportunity to own and drive a St. Regis. Please call (406) 318-0270 for details about this all-original classic 55 St. Regis car. For sale $18,000

Edited by Roger Walling
added a discription (see edit history)

Guest Sig556

Again, thank you all for the input, it will help me decide what I'm willing to pay if the seller sells. here's some additiona information.

I was able to spend a few more minutes with the vehicle yesterday and based on some internet research, looked for some specific items.

I popped the gas cap and the car was stored wet. Not sure how much gas is in it, but it's definetly got gas in the tank.

The chrome is all there and intact, but at closer inspection, it is begging to pit.

There is no A/C and the seats and windows are NOT power.

Under the hood is the hemi. They did at least remove the battery. Assume the 4bbl is still there, it was under the air cleaner and I didn't remove it. Based on the feces, the nest or two, and the eaten corncobs, rats/mice had been in the engine compartment. Storage facility is near AG land. However, the wiring appeared in decent shape. It would definetly need a once over to confirm. Same with the master cylinder and brake system.

The chrome lining the windows is pitting, pretty badly on the drivers side and the interior arm rests are coming apart.

There is much to do and I'm confident there would be a lot of elbow grease and time involved in to clean and polish the exterior and interior. I have enough basic mechanical skills that I can take care of the initial prep to the fuel system, carb, and engine to see if it will run. That's also a question: after cleaning up the fuel sytem, changing engine/tranny fluids, priming the engine, clean/refurb the carbs, etc., will even crank over.

Each time I see the vehicle, I get excited again. In the mid 80's almost purchased a '56 Chevy HT as my first vehicle for $1,800 but i just couldn't make it work out; I ended up with a '67 Malibu and sold it to pay for college. I've been looking on and off over the last few years for '55 or '56 Chevy, or an old '66-'67 Malibu to restore. In my teens I helped a friend with a frame off '59 Impala convertible restoration and I'm not looking for the big of a project, but a car that needs elboy grease and some basic mechanical to make it a running car would be exactly what I'm looking for. At this time, I'm not looking for a ground up restoration or show condition vehicle, just a clean car that I, and the extended family, can take out and enjoy. I'm also traditionalist, in that I don't want to rod it out, lower it, etc.

Apologies for the rambling.

Guest Sig556
If it does not have a hemi, a rebuilt one will cost $4000+.

I can do basic mechanical on my own, but have a friend who is very mechanically gifted and would help with a rebuild. Re: the $4k+, is this the cost to rebuild or the cost to purchase a rebuilt? What would you estimate the cost of a DIY rebuild.

As they say condition is everything when you start talking chrome pitting interior falling apart and damp storage that's a whole different game. 5,000 may be a hi offer. I would say the 3500 range may be fair if the engine isn't seized and there is no body rust. You are going to spend alot on the mechanics. Damp storage ruins/effects all kinds of mechanical parts that you wouldn't normally have to mess with.

Photos would be a big help, Good luck.

DIY rebuild will cost about $2800 in parts, another $400 for a valve job.

I paid $2400 for a 4 door New Yorker in about the same shape as the car you described.

The car that I described may be the best deal for you. (I have nothing to do with the sale of it)

A car like that can easily cost you $3000 - $5000 for tires, brakes, battery, wiring, caburetor, fuel pump, gas tank etc. Less if you do the work yourself, but you should not pay someone for the privilege of working on their car.

That is if the engine, transmission and rear axle are OK with just a tuneup and oil change.

It would be worth it, if will clean up halfway decent, to have a complete original car even if it does not look showroom new.

I would pay a decent price for a car like that but bear in mind what it will cost to put it back in commission. If you have not done one before it is easy to be over optimistic and think you will have it on the road in a weekend.

Sig556,

I tried for three days to start my 55 and after I tore it down, I was glad that it diden't start.

The sludge in the oil pan was completly encircling the oil pick up and was 1&1/2" deep.

The water pump,radiator and block were completly blocked with rust.

Guest Sig556

Thanks all for the input. I have a few pics that can give you an idea of what I'm looking at. If I get the vehicle I do intend to do most of the work myself. And I'm grateful that I have mechanically inclinded friends, I consider them family. As long as I crank the smoker up and have pulled pork or ribs and Mt. Dew/Dr. Pepper, they're willing to help.

I know it will be project car and that is what I'm looking for. My brother and his daughter are working on a Nova Hatchback and I don't want that big of a project.

Here's a picture of the Nova and few pics I have of the New Yorker.

post-92288-143141819196_thumb.jpg

post-92288-143141819191_thumb.jpg

post-92288-143141819197_thumb.jpg

post-92288-143141819213_thumb.jpg

The dash looks pretty nice especially the pot metal chrome. That's usually an indication that it wasn't in the elements then restored. Few people do the dash trim unless it's a complete restoration. I stick to my 5000 -6000 price range. Proper detailing will take that paint and chrome up a whole grade with just elbow grease. Looks like a nice find. I paid 2500 for a 1956 olds hardtop in 1992 in similar shape but running it still needed work and still does although I have it to a happy point.

Good luck with the purchase, Randy