55 Olds power windows

Dynaflash8

Okay, now a new question. The 55 Olds I'm looking at has factory power windows. I am certain they are Hydro-Electric, not electric. These windows have a history of the rubber hydraulic hoses bursting and ruining upholstery and paint. So then, who provides new hoses and or pumps? If one were to restore one of these cars wouldn't it be prudent to replace all these hoses, even if they looked good and worked good?

Earl, I'm not very familiar with the 55, but I'm pretty sure the 55 power windows are electric.

My 1955 shop book shows a 20 amp auxiliary fuse block for electric antenna and electric windows that powers from the ACCessory terminal of the ignition switch. It's located below the main fuse block and a dark green wire with a jumper harness feeds it. The jumper also goes to the RADIO and ACCESSORY FEED fuse cavity in the block.

On the load side of the aux fuse block (yellow wire for windows, white wire for antenna) the circuit is very similar to later electric accessory circuits, incorporating a circuit breaker and relay so the high current motors can feed right off the battery and main harness.

But, yes, if the car turns out to be Hydro-Lectric, after nearly 60 years prudence says replace any rubber components in the window hydraulic system same as you would brakes.

Thank you for that information Paul. The car I am interested in has PS, PB, PW, PAntenna, Signal Seeker, and factory A/C and of cours Hydra-Matic. All that stuff is neat on a '55 vintage car, but it might be h--- to keep working or repair and that's my worry. I would not buy any car with Hydro-Electric power windows, so at least that's off my mind.