'40 Special Oil Filter line size

Guest geoedgerton

Guest geoedgerton

Anyone have an idea what is the correct size for the oil filter lines on a '40 Special (248 eng)? Also, should they be copper for some flexibility or is steel acceptable?

George

Guest geoedgerton

Barney, thanks for checking on it for me. Figured that was what it should be but needed to hear it for sure!

You should go with steel lines. Copper work hardens with vibration and could crack at the fittings. Also, all the other oil and vacuum lines are steel and Buick knew what they were doing. Copper might be a whole lot easier to work with, but steel is better overall.

Guest geoedgerton

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep it steel and check out the stainless option. It seems that having a filter is not that important since it is not a full flow system but it since I have the parts might as well have it on.

George

George,

Do some research on the little steel filter screen that is in the head where the oil line goes in for the rockers. If you run a bybass oil filter system, you do not need this screen. There is a separate thread on this subject. With pictures.

Also note the fitting for the oil line. It is not a ferrel and nut combo, the nut itself swages down on the line.

NAPA still carries a standard filter insert for the bypass filter system.

Mike in Colorado

Guest geoedgerton

Mike, I did see a thread about the screen but am not sure if it is located in the head immediately inboard of the fitting or inside where the tube feeds the rocker arms? When I locate it I'll take it out and check it. I decided to use steel lines with inverted flare fittings with1/8" male pipe to go into the head and block. Do you know what the filter insert part number is---my local NAPA does not show anything on it.

George

George,

Yes, it is located in the head where the line goes in. When you remove the line, then take the next brass nut from the head, and it should be underneath that nut in the head. First find the thread that addresses this, and print the picture that was posted, for your "Buick info file".

I am not able to post pictures of my old filter, due to some nut screwing up the threads with spam, but it was a Bowes with probably 12 different cross reference numbers printed on top.

The NAPA # is OFP-112. I kept the old Bowes filter, as a reminder of the good old days. It was a BR-11.

Some of the old cross references are ; AC -C11, AC-C112, Fram C-100, Purolator N-37 and P-37, Wix PC-1-A, Wix CW-1-A

GM part #853472 (good luck with that one).

Mike in Colorado

Guest geoedgerton

Mike, thanks again for good info. I'll find the exact thread on the screen and take a look at it. Sounds like there are lots of options for filter inserts so that will help. The steel oil filter lines came out good as did new fuel and vacuum lines. Seems that when you start thinking most stuff is done you find something else!

George

post-70733-143141813839_thumb.jpg

George,

I finally figured out how to post the picture of the filter that came with my car. Long since replaced it with a NAPA filter, but it looked so pretty, I didn't have the heart to throw it away. Now hangs proudly in the shop.............

Hope this helps.

Mike in Colorado

Guest geoedgerton

That is a good pic---kind of nice they show all the interchange numbers! I have been told that there were some different sizes in filter cannisters since many were added in the field as an accessory, so I am taking the cannister with me to see if those part numbers are the right size. I appreciate the help since it would really be difficult to figure out some of this little stuff without it.

Your welcome,

If you click on the pic and then print it, you can take it to NAPA etc. and show the kids who work these joints what you want.

They say a pic is worth a K words.

Keep a copy in your info file for reference.

Mike in Colorado

Guest geoedgerton

Turns out that the correct number for the canister on this car is the NAPA Gold 1001. It is 5 3/8" long and 3 1/2" wide. I went with 3/16" inch steel lines since they were readily available in various lengths.