Somerset digital dash in Reatta?

SeanR

I want the Somerset digital dash and the turn signal stalk. The Reatta turn signal stalk without an OFF feature is really aggravating to use. Either have to tap the brake or reach around the steering wheel and turn off the main switch.

Sean,

I doubt the Somerset dash would work as-is due to differences in the data stream presented by the BCM in the Somerset vs. the Reatta. The 90/91 Reatta IPC won't work in an 88/89 (or vice-versa) for this same reason. Also, the Somerset had an IPC that was more wide & short in shape than the Reatta, so physical fitment would be an issue.

The stalk could be added but would require additional wiring in the column I believe, as the circuit that enables the cruise control (located on the headlamp switch bank on the Reatta) would have to be routed up the column to use the stalk with the integral on/off switch as fitted on the Somerset (and many other GM vehicles of the same vintage).

In my 88, I always leave the cruise enable on and just use the brakes to interrupt the cruise when needed. I can't say I use it much anyway, as most of my trips are city miles, not long highway drives. The minimalist stalk on the 88/89 cars was also used on some early 80's models (Chevy Caprice comes to mind, my dad had an 83), so looks like GM dug deep into the old parts bin and recycled it for another round in 88.

Also, FYI, the 88/89 Riviera had the cruise set/accel and coast/resume buttons on the steering wheel, not on a stalk. These also used a special horn slip ring with additional contacts for the cruise switches embedded in the horn pad, so rather different again from the Reatta.

KDirk

Why would you want to turn it off ? Just tapping the brake disengages or pushing the button slows down if you don't want to tap the brake.

One of the real annoyances in my new tow car (and Chryslers in general for years) is that every time you start the engine the CC is off and must be turned on which means yet another steering wheel button. Have 18 buttons on wheel already & do not have all the options possible