Bolt pattern for 1928 wire wheels?

Dwight Romberger

Hi Dwight,

there is no bolt pattern as a such, these Buffalo (or Ash wheel) are held on tapered hub by ring nut, that is secured by lock nut with reversed thread. There is also six "lugs" protruding into wheel (but hidden in the wheel centre) that actually secure wheel agains slip on the hub.

I have never seen new wheels for sale, Used Buick Wheels had some second hand for sale. While you may still be able to find wheels, I believe the hubs are really scarce nowadays.

Should you know where to get the fancy dust cover for spare wheel (you show at your picture) from, I would like to know.

Josef

post-42602-143141800541_thumb.jpg

post-42602-143141800544_thumb.jpg

post-42602-143141800559_thumb.jpg

post-42602-14314180061_thumb.jpg

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dwight,

The wire wheels on my 1930 Buick are no different than those found on modern cars, other than the fact that they are true split-rim wheels with locking rings on the outside surface. They require considerable caution during mounting. Note they are not compatible with other 1930 models possessing wood wheels and require a change in hubs along with some other parts as I understand.

It appears that Buick changed the configuration of the wire wheels between 1928 and 1930. Not sure exactly when that change occurred.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

• 10 years later...

Hi guys Bob here in Edmonton Alberta. I have a set of A5 Buick/buffalo wire wheels for a 28 Buick master. I have front hubs but no back hubs. Any chance you guys have any spares or can send me a few pictures of them. I understand they are a two pc hub. I may have to machine my own rear hubs if I can’t find them. Some pictures would really help thanks 

• 4 months later...

Hi again. Bob here. I’m collecting wire wheels and hubs for my 1928 Buick master roadster. I need one more rear hub. I have two inner rear hub pcs that are buffalo. They do kinda fit the rear end but don’t work with my hub. Maybe they are earlier or for a different car make. What other cars used these wheels. I also have one front hub which I think is Buick standard. A5 size. Anyone looking for Buick buffalo parts I’d like to talk to. Thanks. 780 819 7404