GM and technology

Howard,<P> The example of mental paralysis caused by Computer Crutch Syndrome that you offered, further illustrates our dependence on the machine to compensate for our ignorance or lack of common sense. Peter Heizmann is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not too many years ago, any semi-competent Designer would look at a casting drawing and visualize every "as cast" surface dimension ally changing by .01745/degree/inch of length for draft. Neither would he specify something like a 63 microfinish or even a 125 on a sand cast surface. Peter not only has to deliver hardware at a competitive price, but he also has to educate his customer on how the customers job is to be performed. This goes well beyond the traditional parameters of customer/vendor interface.<P> People just expect technology to compensate for all their shortcomings.<BR>On this Discussion Forum we see another example of this. People frequently ask for spell check. So Solly Cholly, spell check will validate the following: there, thier, or they're. It's still up to you to figure which one is appropriate for the syntax. Just cuz they sound the same, doesn't make them interchangeable.<P> Anyway, the new technology as it is applied to new product development has exciting possibilities. We just need a little cultural adjustment to establish a more harmonious balance between man and machine and their respective strengths and limitations. We're still on our honeymoon and starting to notice the warts appearing on our new bride (groom).

Tom & Howard, thanks. Now I feel a little better.<P>Tom, I absolutely concur with the human aspect - operator getting involved.<P>There was a time when we would receive CAD models with impossible dimensions to hold. We would think, holy schmolly, these guys are nuts, out of their minds, and, so on.<P>Today, we spend a lot of time and money sending operators, engineers, and whoever it takes to the customer. In the majority of cases, we simply show them a feature of a part that has to be changed to make the part.<BR>The customer's engineers look at it and say: "No problem, change the feature, and, everyone is happy." Gets back to what Tom alluded to: communication.<P>There are some CAD Programs out there that cannot pick up some features and it is my job to visit and explain. Best example I can think of is Superman can see through the wall, but, not through the closet door at the same time.<P>Keep the faith.<P>Peter J.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been through CAD classes the past several months. Just to elaborate (not spelcheked wink.gif" border="0 ) on Peter J.'s comment "There was a time when we would receive CAD models with impossible dimensions to hold. We would think, holy schmolly, these guys are nuts, out of their minds, and, so on."<P>In the Auto CAD program you can take your measurement to 14 decimal places. That is 0.00000000000001 of an inch. I don't know of any use for about 10 of those decimal places because there aren't items to measure with in most places that go beyond 4 decimal places. <P>I've worked with Mechanical Desktop which does 3D soild modeling. Neat program. Create block, create hole, create bolt. Place bolt in hole. issue the command for it to check interferance and it will tell you if you tried to put a too large a bolt in that hole.<P>Gettin' late. Got work in the morning.

is the Auto Cad something i can buy for my PC????? Or is very expensive??? Can the Auto-Cad design be converted to a CNC program or are we talking major bucks software here???? In other words, is this something a hobbiest could play with on small items like say an oil pump or motorcycle cylinder???