Play in lower outer pin

Steve_bigD

I am in the process of rebuilding my steering on my 1938 Buick special and to be sure the rest of the front end is tight I checked the suspension bushings for free play. They all show no perceptible movement except for both lower outer pins which have about 1/16" to 1/8" movement if I grab the brake backing plate and rock it up and down. Is this excessive? Are there any specs as to the maximum allowable movement?

Thanks,

Steve D

Guest Grant Magrath

I've seen worse. Pump them full of grease and try again. But replacing king pins isn't that challenging or expensive, so either keep 'em greased up, or, for the sake of all steering gear being in brand new condition, replace them.

Cheers

Grant

That wear will get taken up by reducing the tow-in when the car is moving. It is possible the car will handle poorly and you could end up buying four radial tires. Then you will triumphantly proclaim radial tires are the best thing ever. You'll still have worn out suspension parts.

Lower outer pins used to be pretty easy to get and a willing machine shop could spin a couple out easily. Two eighths is a quarter inch. I would replace them.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest RonJar

When checking the front-end for wear on a 38 Century, how should the vehicle be supported?

Do safety stands go under the frame, let the suspension hang down and then check for play or should the stands go under the lower control arm spring seat so the spring compresses?

Thanks in advance, RonJ

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced both lower pins with NOS parts and now there is absolutely no movement of the steering knuckle, so the 1/8" play I had before was indeed worn. To check for play in the upper and lower pins and the kingpins I placed jack stands on the lower suspension arms so that the weight of the car is on the springs through the lower arm. This relieves the weight from the steering knuckle. Also to get a good feel, the tire rod ball ends should be disconnected. If the suspension hangs the upper shock arm is loaded by spring tension and the pin joints will be tight.

Steve D