1953 Buick 4bbl carburetor stromberg vs carter

Guest buickhenry

Guest buickhenry

I'm getting poor gas mileage with a Stromberg, 9-12mpg city/highway combined. Stromberg has been on since car acquired. Has been rebuilt. I've heard the Carter is easier to work on and gets better mpg. Any opinions are welcome.

If you really want to improve the gas milage concentrate on the transmission, carb, and rear axle ratio. Otherwise if there is a gain it will probably not offset the cost of the modification.

The Carter, Rochester, and Stromberg (alphabetic order) carburetors used by Buick were all excellent for their day.

If in proper working order, probably no more than a few percent difference among the three in either performance or mileage.

However, at one time Carter had a "Performance Department" with a tech line and a knowledgable individual that would help with modifications if Carters were going to be used on modified engines. Thus Carter gained a reputation for being "better" among some hobbyists.

I would suggest, in order:

(A) Compression test

(B) Ignition test

© Non-engine tune-up (transmission service, tire pressure, brake adjustment, etc.).

Jon.