Mystery trasmission fluid loss

Guest breather

Guest breather

Here I was, driving down route 75 from Tampa area to Bradenton in my 1990 Reatta. About 1/3 of the way, I noticed whitish smoke was coming out the back. Good thing I was right by an exit and limped off the Hwy, pulled into a 7-11 and opened the hood. when I looked into the engine compartment, I could see trarnny fluid all over the ground. Checked the level and it was dry. Before calling AAA, thought to put some fluid in it. Did so and waited to see where it was leaking. Moved the car to a dry place and waited. NO noticeable fluid leak detected! Left it running and went into the 711 to get some refreshment. When i returned, still no leak. Decided to try to drive back home after buying 5 more quarts of tranny fluid just in case. I made it home with no further leakage. Still cannot figure where the fluid leaked out. Any SEERS around for advice?? Thank you guys!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Don't know why it won't repeat. Wherever leak is. it's getting onto an hot exhaust pipe creating the smoke. May be able to track flow if you get under it and look for fluid trails and see which seal could be leaking.

Maybe you got too close to that sinkhole and it was swallowed up too. :eek:

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Is it possible that the tranny dipstick was loose and the fluid was spraying out onto the car? And when you checked it, refilled it, you put it back correctly? That is the only thing I can think of, because once a leak starts it stays leaking. It would also explain the white smoke that you saw with the tranny fluid leaking onto hot metal.

Dave's explanation makes sense, especially if it may have been overful. The only time I have had "invisible" fluid loss from the transaxle was a blown diaphragm in the vacuum modulator but that wouldn't have the external clues. It does deserve tracking down if that severe, but can be difficult with all of the air currents under the car.