Sedan/s in Romania

Vintman

Hi,

Little stuck on these two cars which could be the same make, both two door. Am guessing 1925++. The photos are from Romania but may/not be connected. The rads seem similar as does the overall bodywork. The top car seems to have a winged emblem on the rad cap but it does not look like a Chrysler from the rad shape. Both cars have scuttle lights by the windscreen and have a windscreen hood, and have the double spotlamps on the roof. They do however have different registration and different wheelhubs and wheels/tyres. There seems to be an interesting gizmo above the top hinge on the bottom photo each side which could be an early indicator lamp??

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143141772603_thumb.jpg

I think they are both the same car. The first when it was near new and the other later in the 1930s when fitted with tyre company wheels - Firestones maybe? Note also skirts added to the front fenders. It sort of looks like a Nash but the cowl lights do not look right for Nash. I am wondering if the car is something European because of the headlight bar which is a straight piece of tube where most US car of 1928-9 have a curved bar made of pressed steel. I'm still working on it!

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

They are the same car, without any doubt in my mind. Like was said; it had been modified with aftermarket balloon "airwheels" like Jumbo, etc. They also widened the rear fenders for sure, and probably the fronts also. The skirts on the front fenders are definately added on, the skirt type fronts would never have come from the factory on a mid-to-late 20s car. Visor was changed to a more modern style and added bumber guards.

Body beltline, tri bar bumber, and many other visable parts are 100% identical.

I can't quite make out the vent details on the hood sides, but they almost look like peerless style...but I don't know if Peerless radiator looks like that

Just like another car site, there are guys who don't have anything better to do that critize someones writing ability, spelling and sentence structure. I do not use -'ing spelcheck as that would make me a "poser". You do know what a poser is, right?

Listen, I do know how to spell bumper... I have other things on my mind besides pretending to be majoring in language skills....like actually working on an antique. I have an 11th grade education, but that has no bearing on antique cars.

I think they are the same type of car but the bottom is a year or two newer. It has different fenders, headlight bar, bumper gaurds, spare tire, and the lines on the hood that you can see on the first pic are not on the second. You can just barley see the hood behind the gentleman. My eyes aren't the best and might be playing tricks on me. From what I can see they either put a lot of work into customizing their car, or they bought a newer one.

Agree with opinion this is in fact the same car, the second being customised / modernised few years later as F&J suggests.

"There seems to be an interesting gizmo above the top hinge on the bottom photo each side which could be an early indicator lamp??"

Yes these are early indicator lamps, Scintilla and couple of other European producers made them in late 20s and 30s.

Tatra, Praga, Aero - blikae - fajfky SCINTILLA - Praha, inzerce, prodm

Thanks to all, especially Pecak for the fascinating snippet about the Scintilla. Attached is a photo of the old and the new.

I really cannot make my mind up about whether it is the same car or not. I change my mind every time I look at them in detail. ...and having done so, and stared at them for ages, I am relatively sure this is/are cca 1928 Pontiac Two Door Sedan. The rad is too long and narrow for a Nash from the photos I have. Also the size/position of the side lamp and the body moldings nearby are not on the other GM cars. Have had feedback from Romania that the differing registrations do not, as I had anticipated, relate to it being a Taxi and subsequently a private car, because taxi reg had TX on it. However photo dating was: Black number is dated 1928 and white number 29/4/35.

Thanks again for your kind help!!

Vintman UK

post-58492-143141778098_thumb.jpg

I think the guy liked to drive through fields and woods, hunting(?); so equipped the car with thicker tires and more solid wheels as opposed to relatively thin tires on detachable rims of 1928 picture. Note the lamps on the roof, looks like on maharajas Rollses for high game :-)