1928 Buick Identification Help Please

Guest BJM

BJM, A couple things tell me this is the larger wheelbase Master series, not the smaller Standard series. The headlight shells appear to be chromed, (nickel plated), as opposed to painted as on the Standard series. Secondly the fan belt is a V-belt and not a flat leather belt. Dave

Agree. With missing head you cannot distiguish Master from Standard, but the nickel plated headlamps are the clue and also the cross member between frame front noses make it Master Series car. I think this is 28-51 7 pass brougham on 128" wheelbase. Seems bit too long to be 28-47S 5 pass Town Brougham on 120" WB. And yes, this is 28 model with V-fan belt. Pity I am not there over big pond.

I believe it to be a Master Six Brougham Touring Sedan, Model 28-51. The installed trunk is the key to the model.

From 70 years of Buick. "Utilizing the body of the DeLuxe Sedan, but built on the 128 inch wheelbase chassis, was the master six Brougham Touring Sedan, Model 28-51. The 3,980 lb car was priced at $1,925. Buick built 10,258 for domestic sales and 45 for export. Because of the longer wheelbase, the trunk rack was a standard unit on these cars, with the spare tire mounted behind the rack. However, the matching trunk was an accessory, as were the bumpers. Dummy landau irons and a fabric covered rear upper quarter were attractive styling features on both this and the Model 28-47S."

I would imagine that on a dozen or so exist of the car today. It my eyes it is a rare car and worth preserving.

Guys

I double posted this, and Mark Shaw commented on it in my other post as well. I think all are in agreement that this is a higher end lwb Buick. It certainly looks impressive. I placed a bid on it, but was outbid and reserve not met. Not sure what reserve is, but my thinking is there will be some lurkers that go in at the last few minutes and bring it up to $5000 area. If reserve is still not met then I thnk the seller would be looking for a needle in a haystack.

It's an impressive car, but still it's a closed car and as such is not as popular and still costs as much as an open car project. In fact, for a long time there was a late 20's closed car with low original miles, jump in and drive car in KS on the Buy/Sell side and I think he wanted around $14,000 for it.

Nice to know these cars are still out there, but they represent a lot of work.