Steering Wheel removal

Guest breather

Guest breather

I have a 1990 Reatta coupe and am trying to remove the steering wheel. I got as far as removing wheel, taking out "C" clip and removing air bag coil? how do you remove the rest of it before getting to the ignition??

Guest breather

I have already pulled the steering wheel, and SIR coil. pictured is as far as I got. How do you take the remove the rest to expose the ignition key wires?? Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

post-62122-14314176674_thumb.jpg

Ah, the lock plate. There's a special tool used to compress this plate so you can remove the snap ring.

As for the wires; what wires?

The ignition wires are on the ignition switch which is on the lower portion of the steering column; NOT accesible from the wheel end.

The only 2 wires you can reach (?) are the VATS wires into the lock tumbler.

It just looks like a U plate with a hole in the middle. You need to push the lockplate in far enough to remove the snap-ring in the middle.

One of these: Amazon.com: KD Tools 3509 Steering Wheel Lock Plate Remover/Installer: Home Improvement or a whole set Steering Wheel Remover Set

Think the "wires" (yellow) are for the air bag. Ignition switch and wiring is near the base of the steering column. At this end behind the plate you have turn and hazard, cruise control, and VATS.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)