1924 buick tourer stuck starter

Guest tom pre

Guest tom pre

Hi folks i have a really stuck starter. had it out for repair & i reinstalled. i took off the timing gear cover, unhooked all necessary pump parts but still stuck. please advise thank you

Guest tom pre
Tom

Is the starter stuck or the engine??

I may be able to help where are you located???

JB

both i believe. my thought was i jammed the water pump in. i've had the pump out for a rebuild & then reinstalled. my thought was get the pump out, then see if the crank turns. my starter generator is working, but when engaged to fly wheel it stops. i live northe of harrisburg pa. as i said i took of the timeing cover to get a better look, nothing broken

Tom:

Do you have a crank to turn it over by hand? If not my friend in town should have a spare. My 25 turns over OK by hand, a struggle but OK. Great to check timing and compression. Did you have the engine running before? With help you could try to rock the car in gear to see if it loosens up. I know at the auction when it was sold the people there said it did run a bit.

I could help this weekend if needed just call me.

Larry

Starter generators have overrunning clutches that allow the generator to turn at different speeds (relative to the engine) than the starter. If an overrunning clutch is seized up it will not allow the stater to turn the engine. The clutch may just need to be freed. I assume you have a manual and that should show you the location.

Guest tom pre
Tom:

Do you have a crank to turn it over by hand? If not my friend in town should have a spare. My 25 turns over OK by hand, a struggle but OK. Great to check timing and compression. Did you have the engine running before? With help you could try to rock the car in gear to see if it loosens up. I know at the auction when it was sold the people there said it did run a bit.

I could help this weekend if needed just call me.

Larry

my apologies. it is the water pump that is stuck. i had it out for rebuild and then reinstalled. i do have a crank. i'll be out of town sat. and in town sunday

Tom,

Remove the water pump and then turn the engine with the hand crank the engine. If the water pump is causing the engine to lock, the rebuilder my have installed the

impeller with enough clearance to the front or rear of the housing, the orig impellers were pined in place this one is probably held with a set screw. If so it will need

to be adjusted when it is installed on the engine.

JB