Watson Sbilizers

RWPerry

My car came with a set of Watson Stabilizers, snubbers. Can anyone tell me how you adjust the springs. In the box with the snubbers were new straps and the snubbers look like they have been restored. There doesn't appear to be any spring tension as they sit. I need to know how to apply tension to the spring and lock it in place, They are Watson stabilizers from the Thomas Warren Watson Co., Phil. and go on both front and rear.

post-32618-143141748915_thumb.jpg

I have a booklet, might be a service manual for these, it is specifically for Watson Stabilizers, if there are no other responses than please make another reminder post so that I see it and I will see if I can find the booklet and look for the info

Ron, I would send them to your wifes e-mail but I am not confident that is going to work out so do you have another e-mail. Again though I am not positive it is a service manual, may only be a sales manual.

These are the ones for my 2249 also and I have no information on how to adjust the tension once they are mounted. I found some info that talks about using an Allen wrench and a special wrench to do the adjustment of stabilizers but i don't know if it is talking about Watsons and also I can find no place on them for an Allen wrench anyways. In the boxes of stuff I got with the car there were some other snubbers that were not Watsons, I don't know what brand they are since there is about 1/2" of dirt on them. I will have to scape them off and look for a label. Anyhow, the Watsons are the ones I need to work with. Jason, if you find the book and can copy the pages on the tension adjustment I will send you my email. There is no hurry since I don't even have the fenders back on yet but I am trying to plan ahead on the reassembly. Thanks, it will be greatly appreciated.

Looking through the stuff that came with the car I found a box of 3 other stabilizers that are not Watson but are marked Hassler. Anyone have any ideas about what car these may go to?

I have just found out that Hudson and Franklin used Watson Stabilizers also and that the Franklin Library might have a reprint of the manual for sale. I will try to check on that.

Do snubbers actually do any good or are they not worth worrying about?

Sorry Jason we only have the 1 e-mail address No matter what sort of manual it is. I do not have any lit at all on them at all.

I am looking for the booklet, maybe gundog will refresh my memory but as far as what I have seen they were all very small booklets, maybe 3 by 5 or so, when I find it I will post it here since you and RW Perry have both asked to see it.

These are the ones for my 2249 also and I have no information on how to adjust the tension once they are mounted. I found some info that talks about using an Allen wrench and a special wrench to do the adjustment of stabilizers but i don't know if it is talking about Watsons and also I can find no place on them for an Allen wrench anyways. In the boxes of stuff I got with the car there were some other snubbers that were not Watsons, I don't know what brand they are since there is about 1/2" of dirt on them. I will have to scape them off and look for a label. Anyhow, the Watsons are the ones I need to work with. Jason, if you find the book and can copy the pages on the tension adjustment I will send you my email. There is no hurry since I don't even have the fenders back on yet but I am trying to plan ahead on the reassembly. Thanks, it will be greatly appreciated.

I have looked for the booklet but have not come up with it yet, I will find it though and scan it to attach to this post. There were special tools specifically manufactured for these different types of accessories, I remember seeing a page maybe in the Watson book devoted to showing the tools, sales page if that makes sense, trying to up-sell the tools

I am sure you can make do with something else though

Looking through the stuff that came with the car I found a box of 3 other stabilizers that are not Watson but are marked Hassler. Anyone have any ideas about what car these may go to?

I have just found out that Hudson and Franklin used Watson Stabilizers also and that the Franklin Library might have a reprint of the manual for sale. I will try to check on that.

Do snubbers actually do any good or are they not worth worrying about?

As you may know these stabilizers were in many cases offered as an aftermarket accessory. It is my opinion that manufacturers would not have spent the extra dough installing them on their vehicles if they were not worth the effort.

I once owned a 1927 Packard, ( Series 426), that used Watson's just like the one you pictured, as standard equipment. Yes, they do work and I find them necessary to keep the axles from pinging up and down after hitting an uneveness on the road. I had the wrench, maybe still do, marked "Watson Stabilizer Wrench" on it. It was about 10" long, flat steel and had a box end to fit the hex adjustment fitting on the side of the stabilizer while the other end had a funny 90 degree arc shaped bend to it. Never had to use it. Be careful disassembling a Watson. I remember there is a very strong spring in body that can be a real spoiler if it flies out.

Part of my mystery with the Stabilizers has been solved. I could not figure out how, when you wound the spring with the large hex nut to put tension on the strap, did you lock it in place. While digging through the boxes of parts that came with the car, trying to locate bolts for the hood latches, I found a little plastic box with the pins that go into the holes in the hex nuts to hold them in place see photo. Fortunately I recognized them for what they were or at least what I though they might be. Now all I need to find out is how you determine how much tension to put on the spring other than just keep tightening it a bit until the ride seems okay. The only info I have is to count the 1/6 turns when you release it and put the same number back on, however, in my case someone else did the releasing 30 years ago so I guess it is the trial and error method for me.

post-32618-143141753501_thumb.jpg