My '40 Limited

Guest Andrew Armitage

Guest Andrew Armitage

This 1940 Buick Limited model 81 was purchased by my father sometime in 1980. I then acquired it from him in 2010 when I discovered that he intended to sell it. The car has been maintained in excellent condition its entire life and has never had a ground up restoration per se. For a period of time it was housed at the now defunct Roaring 20s Auto Museum in New Jersey in the 1970s (?). Since I've took over as caretaker of this fine automobile, it has been displayed at the Milwaukee Masterpiece's Concours D'Elegance in 2011 and I drove it several hundred miles to participate in the 2011 Buick Club Heartland Regional in Reedsburg, WI. I drive it regularly and to date I've only had to change the oil and replace the battery besides my regular routine checks of its vitals. I'm looking forward to the Nationals this year in South Bend, IN and I intend to drive it there and back. I just thought I'd share with the forum.

post-76371-143141748237_thumb.jpg

post-76371-143141748229_thumb.jpg

Mr. Armitage:

Thank you for coming on the forum and sharing. I see also from the other cars you own that we share an interest in the nicer cars of the period. I would love to see the 7 passenger top of the line Packard.

I look forward to seeing your 1940 Buick at the South Bend National meet. I will definitely put seeing your car on my National bucket list. I am a big fan of the 1940 Buick styling and have been mulling over the purchase of a 1940 Limited 81 project vehicle that is on continuous loop on ebay. I can certainly afford that car but I am not sure I want such a difficult project. Seeing your car, and perhaps taking abundant photos might help persuade me one way or the other.

Hey, feel free to post more photos of your rare car here or in the Pre War Division forum.

Model 67 Cadillac? Isn't that the 141" wheelbase twin to the 41 Buick Limited? Those are surely rare as you know. Fantastic styling. I envy your "large wheelbase" car collection because those are cool cars to own now. When new, they went to special folks with money or corporations, and now we get to own them. Perhaps sometime you would allow me to stop in and see your collection. Thanks for sharing.

Guest Andrew Armitage
Mr. Armitage:

Thank you for coming on the forum and sharing. I see also from the other cars you own that we share an interest in the nicer cars of the period. I would love to see the 7 passenger top of the line Packard.

I look forward to seeing your 1940 Buick at the South Bend National meet. I will definitely put seeing your car on my National bucket list. I am a big fan of the 1940 Buick styling and have been mulling over the purchase of a 1940 Limited 81 project vehicle that is on continuous loop on ebay. I can certainly afford that car but I am not sure I want such a difficult project. Seeing your car, and perhaps taking abundant photos might help persuade me one way or the other.

Hey, feel free to post more photos of your rare car here or in the Pre War Division forum.

Model 67 Cadillac? Isn't that the 141" wheelbase twin to the 41 Buick Limited? Those are surely rare as you know. Fantastic styling. I envy your "large wheelbase" car collection because those are cool cars to own now. When new, they went to special folks with money or corporations, and now we get to own them. Perhaps sometime you would allow me to stop in and see your collection. Thanks for sharing.

I do love the large wheelbase cars!

The '40 Limited is a great car mainly for the reason that it was never in a state of disrepair and is an excellent model to check for authenticity issues.

The Cadillac does share the same platform as the '41 Buick 90 series Limited. Very similar looking cars when you look at them from the side. I was looking for a '41 90 series when I found this car. They were the longest cars of GM's lineup. Even longer than Cadillac's top of the line 75 series formal sedans / limousines.

The Packard was restored a number of years ago by a previous owner and I have a long list of corrections to make to it. But it has survived through the years, still roadworthy and presentable.

Once the weather gets nicer, I'll try and get some pictures in a nice setting of all the cars.

Anytime you're passing through northern Illinois, let me know. I'd be more than happy to take you through the garage to view the collection.

Guest Andrew Armitage
Wow. What a great looking car. Congrats to you for owning such a survivor. I am just wondering how many miles it has on the clock? I love these old Buicks and this forum is just plain fun.:)

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super 51

Just over 60K miles. I've put about 2k miles on the car in the last two years. The engine runs smooth as silk. Trans shifts smooth and firm. Cruising at 55 mph is very comfortable. It's a pleasure to drive.

Guest Andrew Armitage
Can we assume the tyke wearing number 7 in the 1983 photo is now the current owner?

You are correct.

Well dang, I would have fought you for it with your pop! I am really after a 40 model 81.

Beautiful Car!

LOL Thanks!